Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Advice Needed: In what Intervals to get carpets cleaned?

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 8:23 AM
  • 8 Replies

How often do you think should I get my carpets and cushions professionally cleaned? I do not have kids, but my sister-in-law is planning to come stay with us and she has twins. Also I have a dog, so am worried they could be at risk.

Your advice needed , thanks in advance.

by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 8:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Courtney610
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 8:46 AM
2 moms liked this
I have 3 kids and a dog. We clean ours about once every 3 months.
amonkeymom
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 3:51 PM
1 mom liked this

When did you last have them cleaned?  Since you have a dog, if it's been 6-12 months or longer, it's probably time to do it.

LancesMom
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 8:55 AM
1 mom liked this

We have 2 dogs. I have area rugs and wood floors. I wash the area rugs outside, at the beginning and end of summer.

funhappymom
by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this

When we bought our new carpet, we asked. They recommended that we do them about once a year.

Keep in mind that if you use soap on your carpets and don't get every last bit of it off the carpet, the it will just attract more dirt to the carpet, making you need to clean them more often.

KenneMaw
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I pulled up 90% of our carpeting years ago.   it is just nasty - no matter how much you clean carpet, it is never really truly clean.  

Anyway to answer your question, I think 2x per year should be OK.  If would have them cleaned a week or so before your SIL arrives so they can be sure to be dry and any chemicals gone.

JAJohansson
by New Member on Sep. 12, 2014 at 6:20 AM

I agree with you all on this, I read recently in chemdry carpet cleaning  blog about the importance of a good carpet cleaning and its advantages for the family.

Much obliged to all of you for your response and time.

crucialmom
by New Member on Sep. 12, 2014 at 10:06 AM

At home, I vacuum everyday because I have an 18 month old allergic and asthmatic toddler. Ideally, carpets should be professionally cleaned and shampooed every 12 to 18 months. Although, honestly, I have often opted for doing it myself. We bought a carpet steamer and I do my own carpet cleaning solutions, which I use (because of my daughter and my slight OCD) at least once a month. Definitely, you should have your carpets cleaned professionally before the twins come and visit, specially if you have a dog, shedding hair can trigger any type of allergies in small kids.

This is how I do my own carpet cleaning solution:

You will need 4 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide 3% solution, 1 tablespoon of dish detergent and 5 drops of any essential oil (I LOVE LAVENDER!)

Mix all the ingredients and shake, blend the mixture with 1 1/2 quarts of hot water and pour into a carpet cleaner, which you can borrow, buy or even rent super cheap!

This will leave your carpets super clean and smelling fresh!

Hope this is helpful! 

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Sep. 12, 2014 at 10:19 AM

This is so true, unfortunately. I vacuum everyday, and run my Roombas everyday, and I'm always amazed at the dirt that collects, even in the non high traffic areas. We have near future plans to get rid of all the carpeted areas and do all hardwood flooring. I can't wait.

Quoting KenneMaw:

I pulled up 90% of our carpeting years ago.   it is just nasty - no matter how much you clean carpet, it is never really truly clean.  

Anyway to answer your question, I think 2x per year should be OK.  If would have them cleaned a week or so before your SIL arrives so they can be sure to be dry and any chemicals gone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN