Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Is school related clothing part of the CO?

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 8:44 AM
  • 6 Replies

CO says the parents split costs for school, childcare, & extra curriculars. If my children have a dress code for school (not uniforms, just specific things they are allowed to wear) then is this considered a school related expense if I have to go buy these items?

For one of the kids this is his first year having to deal with the dress code so I did have to go out & buy pretty much a new wardrobe (I just went to Once Upon A Child & Goodwill & spent about $80.00 on this one child & got 10 tops & 4 pairs of pants).

My girls were blessed with gifts from a friend of mine who has 2 daughters who out grew their clothing for school. And my ODD passed down clothing to the YDD. So no new clothes this year for the girls. However, ODD WILL need specific items for choir this year. As well as her choir fee (because we have to pay to participate in ECs here in our district). 

Would YOU include the cost of the dress code clothing as part of school related expenses?

by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 8:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't know but I would say no.  I would hope both of you would buy your kids some clothes without having to have it in your agreement. 

CampClan
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 9:33 AM

You would think it would be that easy. But when I tell him one kid needs something he is always busting out the "That's what child support is for". Too bad he isn't paying his full amount! He did ask if there were any school supplies they needed & I told him I had already spent $80 on those if he could just give me half that would be great. I haven't seen that yet. At one point in the past he also told me I should supply food for our kids when he has them because I was getting assistance for it! 

Quoting atlmom2:

I don't know but I would say no.  I would hope both of you would buy your kids some clothes without having to have it in your agreement. 

chamelinmom
by on Aug. 29, 2014 at 12:33 AM

My mom always told that to my dad if he would try to ask, but she never bought us the stuff, she just wanted more money from him to get herself new clothes and nails done. You may be better off if you want him to help either just use what you have in child support(yes that is what its for) and either showing him exactly whats needed and say i will go get this half and need you to get that unless you want me to pick it all up and give you the reciept for the price difference.....from my understanding of cs laws is thats all included as what you get in cs

Quoting CampClan:

You would think it would be that easy. But when I tell him one kid needs something he is always busting out the "That's what child support is for". Too bad he isn't paying his full amount! He did ask if there were any school supplies they needed & I told him I had already spent $80 on those if he could just give me half that would be great. I haven't seen that yet. At one point in the past he also told me I should supply food for our kids when he has them because I was getting assistance for it! 

Quoting atlmom2:

blinker612
by Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 6:31 AM
If it were uniforms I would say yes, but for a dress code no.
(I'm going off what I had as a dress code in school though and the federal governments definition of what an adult can write off as far as work related clothing goes)

Basic if the clothing is appropriate for wear outside of school then it isn't a strictly school related expense and can't be counted as one.
(My dress code just said things like no offensive logos, no tank tops, shorts and skirts had to be and certain length and other stuff like that, so they were normal everyday clothes with and few guidelines.)

You're ex sounds like an ass though. And I think that as a parent regardless of the agreements he should want to provide and help his children no matter what. But I know we don't live in a perfect world.

If the dress code your kids have is anything like mine was I would suggest just not buying anything that doesn't conform to it in the future. I mean maybe a few items here or there, but I would keep 99% of the clothes school dress code friendly.
freedommoments
by Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 10:21 AM
Depending on the dress code if it reads along the lines of blue, black or tan pants with any color polo shirt then while it isn't specifically a uniform I would consider that a school related expense. If it's just no light up shoes, no shirts with logos, no tank tops then it likely isn't a school related expense.

Always provide him with a copy of the receipt if your asking him to help and try to make them separate from other items your buying
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CampClan
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 12:56 PM

It does require shirts with collars & buttons for tops, pants are not as strict as they use to be. It use to be only navy, tan, or black Docker style pants. Now the kids can wear any color EXCEPT blue jeans. They can even wear hot pink skinny jeans! Which IMO is stupid. But they flat out said as long as it looks "professional" & you can not tell they are BLUE jeans then they are good! SERIOUSLY?! The whole point in doing this dress code years ago was so that you could tell the difference between a stranger walking into the school & a student or staff who was suppose to be there. They wanted the kids to wear school colors & they had to have polos. Over the years it changed. 

Quoting freedommoments: Depending on the dress code if it reads along the lines of blue, black or tan pants with any color polo shirt then while it isn't specifically a uniform I would consider that a school related expense. If it's just no light up shoes, no shirts with logos, no tank tops then it likely isn't a school related expense. Always provide him with a copy of the receipt if your asking him to help and try to make them separate from other items your buying

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN