Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Shopping with two little kids

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 9:07 AM
  • 14 Replies

Hello. I have a two year old and a 9 month old and was wondering what other mom's did with their little ones when they would go grocery shopping.  Currently I use a carrier for to put my son in and put my daughter (the 2 yr old) in the cart seat.  It is starting to get difficult and heavy caring my son while grocery shopping.  Was wondering if there are any other ways of doing this?

by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 9:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 9:10 AM

Dh was on kid duty after work or on the weekends while I shopped.  It was Dad and kid time. 

DACIA79
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 9:27 AM
I took them to my grandma's house until they were old enough to ride in the little car attachments that were on the shopping cart. They loved that.
lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 9:32 AM
I shop with all 3 of my kids usually. I wear my 6 week old put my 2yr old on the cart and my 6 yr old walks.

I also sometimes put baby in the cart and make my 2yr old walk

booaura
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 9:37 AM
I usually don't take all my kids shopping, but when I did, I wore the youngest, and put the other in a cart.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Aug. 28, 2014 at 9:41 AM

If it is a nice ergo type carrier I'd put him on the back. If the cart seat is working for her then awesome.  :)

For now, you just gotta do it. There's no real trick ya know. It eventually gets better.  :)

If there's another parent at home, you could always wait til bedtime and go alone I suppose but that is such a special, relaxing time for me I would've never used it to shop lol.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Aug. 28, 2014 at 9:42 AM

Also as long as you're diligent the 9mo could have that cart seat and 2yo could sit with the groceries. Just make sure she has a snack and a book or something. Special store toy.

mewebb82
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 9:53 AM
What kind of carrier are you using? I've found that some of my carriers are just not good for longer trips and a lot of bending over at the grocery store and I do much better with others. Back carries help too if you have a carrier capable of that.
Another idea is to put your 2 yr. old in the basket and baby in the seat. For a while, I was making more frequent but much smaller trips so we could do that.....until I got my kinderpack.
oliveoil423
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 9:57 AM
Im not there yet.

Can your nine month old sit up yet?
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Aug. 28, 2014 at 10:20 AM
Our carts have two seats for kids. I also baby wear.
Mygirl30248
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 10:22 AM

I would get a cart & a basket, put the basket on the bottom of the cart & put in the small boxed items in there. DD (as she liked the big part of the cart better) would sit on top of the bottled water etc & can't damage juices or cans so those would go in the big part of the cart. Where you have 2 kids you could put produce under the cart too in the basket, maybe you can fit two basets down there? Not sure try it! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)