Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Shouting at an 8 month old? PIOG

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 10:05 PM
  • 21 Replies

Apparently my DH read somewhere that when a baby is having a fit or seems to be crying for no reason, at a certain age it is okay to shout loudly at them to get their attention and break them out of the cycle of crying.  I don't know WHERE he read it, but I told him I do NOT like it but he gets mortally offended if I try to take the baby from him when he does it.  If DS seems to be throwing a fit or is crying for what seems to be no reason (not tired, hungry, wet, cold, hurt, etc.), he will pick him up and say loudly, "STOP!"  It's not out of anger, he just seems to think that it will "snap him out of it".  Has anyone else heard of this??  I have told him to stop but he's done it twice now and I HATE it.  When it doesn't work, he will eventually let me take DS and I can always calm him down.  Any advice?

by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 10:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ColoradoMom86
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 10:20 PM

BUMP!

LoveMyBoyK
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 10:28 PM
Hell no. I am with you - no way!! Startling a crying baby out of crying? Someone who is supposed to protect him instead scaring the hell out of him? I can not see how that would cultivate trust!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 10:33 PM
My husband ever yelled at one of the babies and I would be packing a bag and moving out. Lucky for me I have a very mild mannered husband and he rarely raises his voice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 10:55 PM
Not ok or effective
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Aug. 28, 2014 at 11:14 PM
Not okay. At all.
jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 11:25 PM

I have actually heard of this (don't remember where and can't remember ever having done this).  Sort of.  You're not supposed to like...YELL at the baby.  In fact, I don't think you're supposed to use your own voice.  Loud noise is what I remember. 

ColoradoMom86
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 11:36 PM

Well the first time he did it, I immediately told him to stop, I did not like it, and took the baby.  He got offended and said that he wasn't just yelling at him, that he'd read it somewhere and he was trying to help.  I told him fine, I get that you read it somewhere, doesn't mean it's right.  I told him not to do it again.  He just did it again tonight and of course it didn't work.  I tried to take DS and he wouldn't let me have him.  After about 5 minutes of DS still crying I told him to give him to me and he did.  I kept him occupied in the kids' room for the rest of the evening while DH pouted downstairs.  I'm really not sure how to get him to accept he's doing the wrong thing.

Cafe Steph
by Group Admin on Aug. 29, 2014 at 9:03 AM

I'd think that would just make things worse because the baby didn't understand WHY he was yelling and it just upset the baby MORE, rather than calming the baby down? And there is no "snapping out of it" in an 8mo anyway. 8mos cry, period. They're babies. They don't know how to express themselves in other ways when they're hungry, tired, uncomfortable, etc., and whatever he read he should just dismiss as JUNK. If he can't cope with the crying, he should hand the baby to you and take a walk or something.

Bresmom13
by Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Ummm any yelling at a baby or child is out of anger. Also you are setting your baby up for having night terrors at some point. This even though he thinks he is doing something correct is a form of abuse.

booaura
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 9:20 AM
Yelling is never good parenting. Certainly not to scare a baby, which is all he is doing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)