Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Breastfeed at Night, Formula Feed by day

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2014 at 11:51 PM
  • 5 Replies
I have to go back to work soon and wish I could stay home with my 8 week old baby girl. I have been exclusively breastfeeding since birth and feel guilty even thinking about ending it. Pumping is a pain but I am still going to do as much as I can.
In the event I don't have enough milk stored, is it possible to formula feed while I'm at work & then breastfeed when we get home? I am going to try & minimize shifts to 4-5 hrs. long but some may be 8 about 3x a week. I know everyone is different but I'm curious to know if I will be able to keep my milk supply. Has anyone done this or have any tips that may help me??
by on Sep. 2, 2014 at 11:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 5:01 PM

I actually don't know, but don't let anyone on here give you any guilt over your choices, it's great that you breastfed for 8 weeks, if it can't continue, or it's too much trouble for you, then that's okay too.

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 5:05 PM
Yes you can. It's not the easiest option, but in time your supply will adjust to only nursing in the nights and evenings.
You don't need a large stash on your freezer. Pump once every morning and freeze that. Then when you go back put for ten to fit tee minutes every few hours. There are many things you can take to increase your supply and hopefully you pump output. Fenugreek is the most common.
The most important thing is to make sure your bf baby is bottle fed properly. People used to formula fed babies ten to use bottles to console and keep baby quiet. They should get bottles no larger than three ounces at a time. Go check out kelly mom. I'm a working mom who nurses two kids, so if you have any questions I can try to answer them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sal26
by on Sep. 3, 2014 at 5:13 PM
its very doable. just remember to keep formula/ bottles far away when you are available.
weaveress
by on Sep. 3, 2014 at 5:17 PM

i went back to school when my son was a month old. I breastfed him before school, he had formula at the daycare, and i breastfed him after school and on the weekends. my body adjusted to this amount after a few days. however, i did leak the first few days while at school. 

anotherandree
by Inga on Sep. 5, 2014 at 11:05 PM

You might be in serious pain (engorgement) by the time you get off work without pumping at work.  Just be aware and make sure you bring LOTS of breastpads because you WILL leak by the end of your shift.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN