Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Moving to a big boy bed??

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2008 at 2:12 PM
  • 7 Replies
When is a child ready to move out of the crib? My son is 21 months and just LOVES to be in his crib. I know he could get out of it if he tried, but he doesn't. He's getting a little big for it...but he is just soooo content in there.
by on Jan. 9, 2008 at 2:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
YoungMommy62206
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2008 at 2:16 PM
I've been wondering the same thing?   Anyone have advice??
callykat20
by on Jan. 9, 2008 at 2:55 PM
My son was 18 months when I moved him from the crib to a twin bed.  I bought his fav character sheets and redid his room to match so it had the "big boy" feel.  He absolutely loved his new bed and the transition was very smooth.  Only difference was when he would wake in the middle of the night.  Instead of me having to get up, he'd just jump in bed w/ mommy.  :-)

Michelle
25beengoodtome
by on Jan. 9, 2008 at 3:32 PM
 My sons (2, 3 yrs apart)  moved into a little tykes bed when they were two.  they were so proud. we kept the crib, just in case they took advantage of their new" freedom" bedtime is bedtime, no matter how cute they are. My second son was much more difficult to adjust to bedtime schedules. No,no  napping during the day, just to be safe! by age 4, they were expected to pull their blankets up to their pillows, before climbing out of bed, to straighten up, before breakfast. start them fast. the chore becomes a habit, unthought of. just a natural reaction. like brushing teeth a.m & p.m.   those Jr. beds sure can be a blessing! You have to be just as ready for this big step too. New rules and responsibilities -like making their bed neat.
lassdev
by on Jan. 9, 2008 at 6:59 PM
My daughter was well over 2...I think almost 3 when she decided that she was ready for the big girl bed. I had no problem with her ever wanting to get out of the crib. Then my son came along. My son was barely 2 and decided that he was superman. At the time of this event, we were living with my sister, so my children were sharing a room. There was a dresser next to my son's crib. I had no other place to put it because the room was small. I also did not think my son would be interested in it. Well I was wrong. My daughter told me that he was able to reach it and get on top of it using his crib. I wouldn't have believed it if I had not seen it with my own eyes. One day I heard a terrible crash during my son's nap. I went to the room to find the dresser knocked over and my son no where to be found. Not in his bed. I thought he was under the dresser! He was hiding in the corner, cause he knew I would not be happy. I was thankful that he was not under it, but from that moment on he as been in a toddler bed.

To make a long story short...too late...I think your child will let you know when ready for a big bed. You could simply ask and begin looking at beds with your child and maybe they will get excited to be in a big bed!

Good luck!

Amy

http://www.moms4netprofit.com/positions (become a shopping member or a Marketing Executive at home, and receive $100 in spending money)

Go Green in 2008! www.ahealthcafe.com/positions

sacdp29
by on Jan. 11, 2008 at 1:20 AM

My son went into a toddler bed when he started climbing out of his crib.  I actually think I put a crib mattress on floor at first.  Was always afraid he's roll off bed.  You can also get bed gates that will stop them from falling out of bed.

LilypieExpecting a baby Ticker

sawinski
by on Jan. 11, 2008 at 4:15 PM
I tried my daughter for the 1st time in a toddler bed when she was about 16 months old but she wasnt ready. I put her back in the crib & it was right about her 2nd birthday when we did the toddler bed again. She use to jump out of her crib & thats why we changed. Her crib converted into the toddler bed so that was easy fo her. We got her a twin bed when she was about 2 1/2. We made it such a big deal and told her that she was a big girl & she loved being a big girl so she jumped right in.  Kids like to be the "big" kid & if you make a big deal about it then so will they.
sicooley
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:05 PM

i moved my son when he tried to climb out. whe uf eel its unsafe for yoru baby u will know

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN