Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thrift vs. Brand name Stores??

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 6:14 PM
  • 50 Replies
2 moms liked this

Which do you prefer and why? And what are your fave stores?

I thrift b/c I've found new w/ tags items all the time for like $45 $60 for under a buck so just doesn't make alot of sense for me to go elsewhere.

by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 6:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ejkdmom
by Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 6:21 PM
2 moms liked this

While I have no problem with thrift/second hand stores, when I go shopping I want to get the style I want in the size I need.  Searching through racks and racks to find the gems are also not what I like to do.  I hate shopping and like to get in and out as soon as I can.

a_and_j_momma
by Platinum Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 11:57 PM
I usually don't do store brand or thrift
bopeep69
by on Oct. 16, 2014 at 12:47 AM
Both. Thrift has brand names
funhappymom
by on Oct. 16, 2014 at 8:42 AM

I am a thrift shopper. I like going to find really good deals.

I also shop in brand name stores when there are sales.

cupcake_mom
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2014 at 8:46 AM
3 moms liked this
Thrift because I can take $30 and get 10 outfits as opposed to $30 only getting a pair of jeans at name brand shops
Imperfect_Faith
by on Oct. 16, 2014 at 9:40 AM
I refuse to buy thrift store. That's all I had as a child, and since we can easily afford new, brand name things, that's what we buy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceciliam
by Cecilia on Oct. 16, 2014 at 9:58 AM

I don't have anything against thrift stores but I have never been to one.

coala
by on Oct. 16, 2014 at 10:21 AM

We do a combo of both.  I go in to consignment shops for me because stuff is organized by size and it makes it easier for a person who doens't like to shop...be able to shop.  I don't like generic thrift stores because they sort by color and not by size making it that much more difficult to shop.  I don't do "brand" name unless I can get it on consignment.  We can afford to shop there but don't see any reason to.  My SO and my ODD have become "brand whores" as my SO calls them with their workout clothes.  They prefer a specific brand because of it's performance and fit and nothing else.  My youngest still prefers the less expensive stuff but she hasn't been working out as long as they have.  I see her changing in a year or so.

Bmat
by Barb on Oct. 16, 2014 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I like thrift stores, but they are not as conveniently located as regular retail, understandably because I assume they are on a smaller profit margin. When I want a formal gown, my first stop is thrift.

veggiemom474
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2014 at 3:40 PM

The thrift stores by me are so gross, They stink like mold, they're dusty and most the clothes look dirty.

By no means am I a snob! But I can't shop where I'm finding it hard to take a breath without inhaling mold spores and visible dust. However, I do donate to them all the time. If they were clean I would have no prob shopping there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)