Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

have any other moms had depression caused from not being able to breast feed?

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 10:49 PM
  • 10 Replies
With my first daughter nobody explained to me how difficult it would be to breast feed. Everybody was like, oh ur breast feeding right? Breast feeding is best for ur baby. And that was that... then when I realized how hard it was I chose to bottle feed but I went into a huge depression.
Then when my son came along and I really tried hard to nurse, I found that I didn't even make enough milk and he lost too much weight but I was fine with using formula.
Now with my 3rd, I have been trying everything I can to produce more milk and I just can't. Now I feel extremely depressed. Does this happen to anybody else?
How did u make ur self feel okay with not being able to breast feed?
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 10:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
a_and_j_momma
by Platinum Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 11:32 PM
I didn't get depressed because I tried as hard as I could. I breastfed then pumped for months trying to increase my supply. I used fenugreek and reglan (sp) at the same time. After returning to work, I couldn't do the rigorous feeding schedule anymore
MusherMaggie
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 11:40 PM
Come over to the Breastfeeding Moms group. Odds are, you been given a lot of misinformation about breastfeeding. Doctors and nurses are not trained in this.

A 7-12% weight loss at the beginning is normal. We look for a gain of one pound per month from the lowest weight after birth. He should be going through 6-8 diapers every 24 hours with extra wet or poopy diapers counting as two diapers. It is normal for them not to seem satisfied; their stomachs are very tiny and breast milk is digested quickly. During growth spurts, it is normal for them to nurse 24/7.

Another thing that may be affecting his nursing could be lip or tongue ties. We have an excellent section on ties in the resources sticky on the Breastfeeding Moms group with links to pictures and articles that can help you identify ties, and a list of reputable providersby state who revise ties if they are present.

Please don't give up. A lack of proper information is very often the ending of many breastfeeding relationships. We can help you.
emarin77
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2014 at 7:10 AM

I was sad when I couldn't produce enough milk even for the first month.  I had to give half/half brestmilk and formula to my son.  After the first month I only gave formula.  I was told by the nurse that came to my house that some woman do not have the ability to produce enough milk.  I realised I had to move on take care of my son another way.

teedaalee
by on Oct. 16, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Aww, momma it sounds like you're doing everything you can. I'm sorry it's been so difficult for you over the years. Have you considered speaking with your doctor about it, to see if he or she would have any further insight into this? From the way it sounds you're doing everything you can for your little ones. Keep up the good work!

teedaalee0712

eggopreggo
by Member on Oct. 16, 2014 at 4:51 PM
Thank you! I am trying hard. My midwife knows about my supply issues, she is going to try me on domparidone to up my supply... fingers crossed! Im hoping this works.

Quoting teedaalee:

Aww, momma it sounds like you're doing everything you can. I'm sorry it's been so difficult for you over the years. Have you considered speaking with your doctor about it, to see if he or she would have any further insight into this? From the way it sounds you're doing everything you can for your little ones. Keep up the good work!

teedaalee0712

Ayasmama
by on Oct. 16, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Just do what you can. I am experiencing some difficulties right now too. I am using a nipple shield right now to try and get baby to nurse. It is ok but not the best. Baby gets frustrated and I get frustrated. I am pumping and supplementing with formula. Last week I cried because I felt so bad about things not working out well with bfing. Then I was at a check up with the pediatrician and he asked me if I was breast feeding or bottle feeding. I told him my story and he said take it easy. Do what works for you and see a lactation consultant if needed. He said that if I was unable to exclusively bf don't worry. It is not the end of the world (although not ideal). Coming from a doctor this made me feel reassured that I am doing what I can for my baby but yes she will not parish if I cannot get her breast milk 100 percent of the time. 

Before he said this I cried a lot...now I am ok. He is right. Just do what you can

Imperfect_Faith
by on Oct. 16, 2014 at 5:11 PM
Mine are all formula fed, that was just the only option. Outsiders who didn't know our family and situation made some pretty rude, nasty comments about my not breastfeeding. It never caused any depression, I just told them to shove it, and worry about their own children.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eggopreggo
by Member on Oct. 16, 2014 at 6:32 PM
Thanks for the info! I will definitely join the group. My daughter lost a full pound and was only peeing 2 - 3 times a day when she was supposed to be peeing 5 - 6 times a day. Sadly it was not lack of info. She was not getting what she needed from me =(. But I am not going to give up this time.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Come over to the Breastfeeding Moms group. Odds are, you been given a lot of misinformation about breastfeeding. Doctors and nurses are not trained in this.

A 7-12% weight loss at the beginning is normal. We look for a gain of one pound per month from the lowest weight after birth. He should be going through 6-8 diapers every 24 hours with extra wet or poopy diapers counting as two diapers. It is normal for them not to seem satisfied; their stomachs are very tiny and breast milk is digested quickly. During growth spurts, it is normal for them to nurse 24/7.

Another thing that may be affecting his nursing could be lip or tongue ties. We have an excellent section on ties in the resources sticky on the Breastfeeding Moms group with links to pictures and articles that can help you identify ties, and a list of reputable providersby state who revise ties if they are present.

Please don't give up. A lack of proper information is very often the ending of many breastfeeding relationships. We can help you.
Courtney610
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2014 at 7:21 PM
Big hugs, mama. Do what you can. As long as your baby is fed and healthy, that's what matters.
sgillen
by Member on Oct. 16, 2014 at 7:35 PM
It can be SO SO hard to breastfeed and you're right, no one warns you how frustrating and heartbreaking it can be.
As long as your baby is healthy and happy and fed then that's all that matters.
Hugs. So sorry you're going through a hard time. And make sure you get help if you need it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)