Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are your kids taught social studies in school?

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:17 AM
  • 23 Replies

I posted a comment on Facebook today about how my kids don't know who founded our state, don't kow why it was once called Penn's Woods and various other trivia things that I think they should have been taught in school. They can however tell me that the teachers in their schools are not voting for the current governor to be re-elected because he took away funding from education.

A friend from a neighboring school district said that her kids are learning about PA history and they're the same age/a bit younger than my boys. My mil was a teacher for 25+ years and has some old schoolbooks that we'll go over when they're on their school breaks since I think history is important, and they like history, too.

So I'm curious -- is social studies taught in your schools in grades K-5?

by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:20 AM
We moved around. My oldest had Ohio history in 4th grade. She also had Georgia history all of 8th grade. Youngest had GA history in 5th grade.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
balagan_imma
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:30 AM

Ours have social studies/history in k-5. But due to the nature of the school (time is also devoted to Hebrew and Judaic studies) they switch off with science. I don't know what our public schools are like in elementary/middle school.

Linda_Runs
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:32 AM

My girls are in grades 2 and 4.  In elementary school they are mostly taught Canadian themed history and geography with a touch on American and world themes.  In middle school they venture much more into American and European themes.

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:24 AM

My son is in 3rd grade and has had some form of Social Studies since Kindergarten. Social studies and science are his favorite subjects.

Courtney610
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:04 AM
My kids study social studies in some form every year. We don't do state history every year, though.
waytomanykids10
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:16 AM
When we homeschooled that was one of our favorite subjects. Both my husband and I are history freaks so it was important for our kids to learn about it. They go to a private school now and they still get taught it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
June3May4June3
by Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:20 AM
Yes social studies is still taught at my kids school. I think they switch off between it and science during the month though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama_l
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:25 AM
Yes it is taught in the schools my son has attended. DS loves American history. Currently, he is intensely studying New Amsterdam and often goes on trips related to that weeks topic.
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:32 AM

They learned state history in 1st and 2nd grade.  They learn history every year though.  Already in 3rd grade they have learned basics on the United States, Native American tribes, civil war.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

LuvingMy3Girls
by Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:02 AM
Oh yes. We live in California and in 4th Grade they do a whole section on the California missions and how they were found it then they have to write a report and actually create a mission
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)