Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Christmas shopping...HELP!!!!

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:48 AM
  • 12 Replies

This is my nephew, not my son.

What do you get for a 10 almost 11 year old kid who only wants video games? All he talks about is video games and minecraft and he is constantly playing them and I don't think it's healthy so I refuse to buy him video games or get him gift cards where he could go and get the video games. So now I'm not sure what to really get him because I know a couple years ago he loved legos and superheros but he won't even talk about that anymore unless it's about the video games....

by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MaineMammax2
by Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:51 AM
I've seen a lot of minecraft T-shirts and other paraphernalia lately. You wouldn't be getting him the game but something related to it.
bigmouthbabe
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 1:49 PM

Unless you want your gift being hated and wasted... keep their interest in mind even if you don't like it.  That said... he's not your kid.  I get your concern, but I would suggest... MINECRAFT sweatshirt/hoodie.  He will love it.  I think.

Sydel
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 2:36 PM

I agree, you are not his mother.  You may be better off getting him nothing then giving him something that will not be used or that he dislikes. I got my 13 year old little nephew a t-shirt with Darth Vader on it. It says my Swagg is Legendary. His mom said that he will like it. I think a Minecraft shirt or hoodie is a good alternative to video games. But I would honestly go with a gift card. games are expensive you could be helping his parents out by giving him that.

Quoting bigmouthbabe:

Unless you want your gift being hated and wasted... keep their interest in mind even if you don't like it.  That said... he's not your kid.  I get your concern, but I would suggest... MINECRAFT sweatshirt/hoodie.  He will love it.  I think.

mrsc19
by Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 2:38 PM

minecraft book.... or like the other people said a minecraft shirt.

nattyleilani
by Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 2:38 PM

Get him a t-shirt or hoodie or something that has to do with the games he loves. 

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:01 PM
They have mine craft books
amybrg86
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:15 PM
Def not the games... You don't need to support that video game habit of his. Id say cash, but he'd prob waste it on games. And as far as clothing with the video game logos on it and whatever, do you even know if he would wear it? Otherwise thats kind of a waste of money and he could always return it and go buy a game anyways.

Maybe a restaurant gift card?? Gosh I dont know... But you would prob need to make it something specific (I.e. restaurant gift card) so he can't return it, exchange it, get cash back, etc... Can you ask his parents what he's into??
Adnalor
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:29 PM
Get him a membership to a local museum. We like the children's museums or the science center. Or, just take him and let him know it's his Christmas present. Fun for all and he gets out of the house away from video games.
illogicalkat
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:02 PM

I'm with the others, get him something like a t-shirt or sweatshirt with one of his favorite video game characters on it. He'll like it, he'll use it, and you won't be buying him a video game.

As cool as a museum membership sounds, if he isn't interested it will be a huge waste of money. He won't want to go.

a_and_j_momma
by Platinum Member on Nov. 5, 2014 at 1:39 AM
I agree x 2.

Clothes or something like a remote control helicopter

Quoting Sydel:

I agree, you are not his mother.  You may be better off getting him nothing then giving him something that will not be used or that he dislikes. I got my 13 year old little nephew a t-shirt with Darth Vader on it. It says my Swagg is Legendary. His mom said that he will like it. I think a Minecraft shirt or hoodie is a good alternative to video games. But I would honestly go with a gift card. games are expensive you could be helping his parents out by giving him that.

Quoting bigmouthbabe:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)