Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby sign language

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:11 PM
  • 20 Replies
I have an 11 week old and I'm wanting to do baby signs with her. I know the basics (eat, more, mil, etc.) but I was wondering when is a good time to start? And should I move her hand in the motions as I do my own and say the word?
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:14 PM
I personally wouldn't mess with it. They communicate fine on their own time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oliveoil423
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:16 PM
When she turns one.

The speech teacher that my daughter sees is teaching her more and done.
bigmouthbabe
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 1:45 PM
2 moms liked this

I was a ASL major in college.  This is something I did at times and my dd picked up on as she got close close to 1 and so on.  At 11 weeks old... chill on the education overload.  You may want to find a hobby in between as not to become one of "those mama's."  lol

Bmat
by Barb on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:12 PM
2 moms liked this

Keep it light, and don't expect her to actually do it at this point. But I believe that the baby is learning all of the time- right now probably rhythm and intonations of your speech, your facial expressions.  I can see a difficulty with having a situation where the sign would have meaning. The only thing you give her really is milk or formula, and when she is done, she is probably too drowsy to get the sign for more. And please and thank you aren't reasonable. How about hungry.  Just before you pick her up to feed her, you can say hungry? and make the sign for hungry. Don't expect results for a long while- she doesn't have the muscle control yet.

SaraBingham
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi there and congratulations! You can start signing with your baby at anytime. Keep in mind that most babies will sign back to you between 9 and 11 months of age but may understand what you sign to them before that. For example, they may calm down when you sign "milk" or get excited when you sign "bath" - if they like their bath!

So start signing now and you don't need to more her hands at all. Say and sign the word "before", "during and "after" she gets something. For example, sign (and say) "milk" before she gets it, while she's drinking it and when's she done, you can sign "milks all-done". Always sign and say the words you are signing. 

Here are some other signs to start with :) 

SaraBingham
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:20 PM

BUMP!

illogicalkat
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:05 PM

You've got 8 to 10 more months before those actually become relevant to your baby.

The only signs my son knows are "more," "please," "all done," "food," and "bye-bye." He learned them in daycare when he was 19 months old, and they work tremendously well for communication.

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 7:05 PM

My son picked up a handful of signs about 8-10 months old... More, please, milk, thank you, mom... But he was also an early talker at 9 months saying mom, pup, ball, car... Into short sentences by the time he was 14-15 months old. he is 8, with the vocabulary of a 7th grader and an insatiable reader. :) 

Imperfect_Faith
by on Nov. 5, 2014 at 12:03 AM
1 mom liked this
I've never understood the point of that. I learned my baby's cues, and when they were ready to communicate, they started to talk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NLNW
by on Nov. 5, 2014 at 8:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Signs can be introduce at anytime. It just needs to be in your normal routine and at some point, your girl will pick them up.

By experience, it is more around 9-12 months that you will notice the first sign. It is very useful and help to minimize some frustration of not being able to communicate for the little one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)