Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Job Interview at Walmart

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 2:13 PM
  • 14 Replies

I got called by a lady from walmart earlier this morning. I have a job interview for a temporary job as a cashier! My interview is tomorrow morning at 10:30. I am beyond excited. I am just wondering though if any one has any tips for the interview?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 2:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sydel
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Be 100% honest with them. Let them know what hours and days you are willing to work and what you are willing to negotiate on. Don't just tell them what they want to hear or say anytime because they will give you a crazy schedule if you don't speak up.  If they are hiring for temporary be prepared to have to work Thanksgiving and or Christmas Eve.  Ask them about the possibility of your position becoming permanent. If you have any other skills like in the bakery or a willingness to learn let them know.  My aunt worked there seasonal and they kept her and trained her to work at their eye care center. I know another mom that they paid for her to become a pharmacy tech. Good Luck hope it all goes well.... Also dress for sucess don't show up in jeans. Dress for the job you want not the job you have.

JenniferMiller0
by Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 2:26 PM

Thank you for the tips! And I know better than to show up wearing jeans. The only non jean pair of pants I have are these black capri looking things. They come up to just below my knee. I did have a pair of kaki pants but those are a size 8 and I haven't been a size 8 in a while.

I'm planning on wearing a black shirt as well with a white tank top underneath it and a pair of no heeled black strappy shoes.

Quoting Sydel:

Be 100% honest with them. Let them know what hours and days you are willing to work and what you are willing to negotiate on. Don't just tell them what they want to hear or say anytime because they will give you a crazy schedule if you don't speak up.  If they are hiring for temporary be prepared to have to work Thanksgiving and or Christmas Eve.  Ask them about the possibility of your position becoming permanent. If you have any other skills like in the bakery or a willingness to learn let them know.  My aunt worked there seasonal and they kept her and trained her to work at their eye care center. I know another mom that they paid for her to become a pharmacy tech. Good Luck hope it all goes well.... Also dress for sucess don't show up in jeans. Dress for the job you want not the job you have.

CafeMom Tickers
anotherandree
by Inga on Nov. 4, 2014 at 2:32 PM
1 mom liked this

When I got the job with Walmart (like 10 yrs ago), it was not just an interview with 1 person but the manager, one of the asst managers, and the cashier manager.  Just an FYI because sometimes being interviewed by more than one person can freak someone out!  Good luck!

Sydel
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this

They just changed their dress code. If you get a job there you will need khakis and blue polos. Not sure every store is changed over yet but there has been a big stink over it. I would check out Goodwill.

Quoting JenniferMiller0:

Thank you for the tips! And I know better than to show up wearing jeans. The only non jean pair of pants I have are these black capri looking things. They come up to just below my knee. I did have a pair of kaki pants but those are a size 8 and I haven't been a size 8 in a while.

I'm planning on wearing a black shirt as well with a white tank top underneath it and a pair of no heeled black strappy shoes.

Quoting Sydel:

JenniferMiller0
by Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 2:43 PM

There is a Dirt Cheap in the same city, on the way there actually, as the walmart I am interviewing in. I suppose I can borrow some money from the hubby and stop by there before my interview to see what they have.

Quoting Sydel:

They just changed their dress code. If you get a job there you will need khakis and blue polos. Not sure every store is changed over yet but there has been a big stink over it. I would check out Goodwill.

Quoting JenniferMiller0:

Quoting Sydel:

CafeMom Tickers
Sydel
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I would go after. This way you have more time and don't feel pressured to rush.

Quoting JenniferMiller0:

There is a Dirt Cheap in the same city, on the way there actually, as the walmart I am interviewing in. I suppose I can borrow some money from the hubby and stop by there before my interview to see what they have.

Quoting Sydel:

Quoting JenniferMiller0:

Quoting Sydel:

CBMMOM
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this

You'll get questions like "Name a time when you took control of a difficult situation that was beyond your normal job description and how did you handle it and what steps would you take in the future to deal with similar situations ?" By the time they got to the end of each question I had forgotten how the question even started. In my mind I was thinking "What the hell did she just ask me?" I muttled through somehow,though. So anyway,be prepared to answer questions like that. Good luck tomorrow. Oh yeah,and they'll send you for a drug test right away.

sabrtooth1
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Cover up your tats.  Turn off the phone.  Ditch the gum.  Be EARLY.  No open toe shoes or sandels.  Skip the tank top, and button up the shirt.  Wear a jacket or neat cardigan over the shirt, if you have one.  Speak clearly and articulately.  Brush up on your simple math skills, so if they ask you how to make change if the register doesn't tell you, you can answer.  Do NOT present a list of days and hours you are willing to work.  Be willing and able to work WHENEVER they want, or they will move down the line to someone who will do what it takes to get, and KEEP the job. 

maxsmommy1010
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I worked there for 2 years last year was my last year... when I did mine I had 2 interviews one with personnel and one with the head of the dept I was going in. Mone was at 2 different times but my fiances was both at once
melissaAD1125
by Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:49 PM
If you don't have open availability you will get shitty hours
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)