Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I contact DSS?

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:05 PM
  • 10 Replies

We had an incident with our  neighbors today, wondering if I should contact someone. Let me give you a little info so you have a better picture. We live on a short dirt road, we're the first house, behind us is another house, we are seperated by thick trees and a large ditch. We are about 300 feet from the main road, not a busy road but the speed limit on this road is 55 with a hill coming from one direction and a sharp curve the other way, so it can be dangerous especially coming over the hill with the sun in your windshield, so a driver would have little time to react should someone run out into the road. We have a had three incidents of oue neighbors allowing their 18 month old toddler wander around with only his 6 yr. old cousin as supervision. One time, we were out back and he almost fell into the ditch which had roughly a foot of standing water, my husband caught him before he fell. I have a home daycare, and several weeks ago he was playing in our driveway,while his cousin rode her bike up and down the dirt road.  I did not know he was outside until one of my daycare parents came inside and told me she almost hit him in my driveway because he was sitting beside my car. She was so upset, I walked him back to his house and told his mother hat happened, there were 2 adults and an older child in the house, none of them knew either of the children was outside. Today, he came wandering over with the 6 year old, we were playing inside the fenced in yard, they were again wandering in what is basically the parking lot of my business, now all of my children had on pants, shoes and long jackets it was roughly 55 degrees outside, this toddler is wearing no pants, no shoes, he's only wearing a soggy diaper and a filthy short sleeved shirt. I told his cousin to take him home, they were not supposed to be playing in my driveway and that he needed to have more clothing if he was going outside; she said his mom "forgot" to put pants on him. They left, then I here someone from next door yelling across the trees that its none of our business, and yes he wheres pants. Um, he wasnt today, and its freakin cold out, plus you had no clue he's playing around moving vehicles. I feel like I need to call social services but I dont want to start a neighbor war. The way its going, this child is going to get run over, since he routinly runs up and down the driveway toward the road,  drown, or get lost. Not to mention, there are at least 3 dogs  in our neighborhood, they dont cause much of an issue, but at least one of the dogs is aggressive, but only if you pester him or step onto their property, he doesnt wander into other yards, their yard is adjacent to this neighbor, IM afraid if this boy wanders onto their property he might get bit if he comes across this dog. On a positive note, they do send another kid child out with him, so he's not totally alone, I just feel like its pretty risky to put a very active toddler under the responsibilty of a 6 year old, I have a cousin whos 10, and I wouldnt let her out unsupervised with my toddler not because I dont trust her, but because my toddler is extremely active and quick. What do you think, would you call Social Services or just let it go?

by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ELFs_Mommy
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 7:48 PM
I would call. Especially with the adults not even knowing they were out & the no pants. That's just neglectful IMO.
a_and_j_momma
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:06 PM
I would
JenniferMiller0
by Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Um...Hell yes! I would have done called them by now. That is ridicolous. My son is 2 and I always know where he is at.

Elyssa414
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:13 PM
You would feel terrible if this kid got hit by a car, and you hadn't done anything.
trulyblessed618
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:16 PM
I think so maybe a warning from them may shake her up a bit. Just make sure your daycare is official.
momtotwo08
by Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:16 PM
Yes, I would call.
UpSheRises
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:19 PM
How would you feel id something happened to the kid next week and you didnt call?
lexasmommy411
by Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Update: I am going to call in the morning, if something happend and this poor boy got hurt or god forbid killed I would never forgive myself. Thank you all for responding, I just wanted to know Im not overreacting. 

Serabeth06
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:43 PM

I would have called after the first incident.

anotherandree
by Inga on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:47 PM

I would call.  Owning a day care, aren't you a manditory reporter?  I know that as a therapist, for me, that reporting falls in everyday life and not just work as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)