Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sleep training

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 2:01 PM
  • 14 Replies
Help! I need some advice on sleep training. My 4 1/2 month old daughter needs rocked to sleep. It started off with always nursing to sleep. At bedtime I slowly weaned her off nursing to sleep so that my husband could help with bed time. Now she needs rocked to sleep, and she's waking in the night and not being able to soothe herself back to sleep. I'm trying to wean her off by rocking her a bit with her soother, and when she's about to fall asleep I lay her down and put my hand on her chest until she falls asleep. This usually takes a few times because she will start crying uncontrollably and I'll have to pick it up and start the process over. I not interested in the cry it out method but something needs to be done because my back is killing me, she is 18lbs and I am doing this 5-6 times a day for her 20 min cat naps and 2-3 times throughout the night. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 2:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emarin77
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 2:25 PM

I read to my son to get him asleep.  He also slept at the same time with the same routine before to get ready for sleep.  I never had a problem with him sleeping.

Kbraiden
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:35 PM
Ya we have the same routine every night too, bath, story, nurse, then bedtime...
WILDCATGAL78
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Here's a bump......I am sorry I have no advice. I think your daughter is too young for any type of "sleep training" I don't sleep train. I prefer to follow my daughter's cues. She is 21 months and I happily rock her to sleep every night.

Kbraiden
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:05 PM
I don't really want to "sleep train" to be honest, I don't mind rocking her to sleep, I actually enjoy it... But some nights it takes up to 45 min and I am the only one who can put her to bed and I have a horrible back so it's getting to be an issue. I know as soon as she doesn't want rocked to sleep I will miss it. I just don't know what other option I have then to gradually teach her to soothe herself. I also thought she was too young for sleep training but everything I have read tells me if I don't do it now she will never learn. Maybe I will just have to suck it up until she is ready to fall asleep on her own. I just worry when I am back to work and I am not here to put her to bed, I hate the thought of her crying! And that's what's happens when anyone else tries to put her to bed she cries and cries until she's in my arms. :(
LuLuRex
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:44 PM

I was a rocker so I'm not much help! 

Have you tried to lay her down and just rub or pat her to sleep? It might be an easier thing to phase out.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Nov. 24, 2014 at 7:40 PM
We don't sleep train. My 2 year is rocked to sleep every night. I enjoy the one on one time with him. He will only be little a short time.
HAHuskey
by Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 7:41 PM
Try nursing a few minutes before bed. Then rock her.
Kbraiden
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:55 PM
Thanks for the adviceI am just going to continue to rock her, I'm young my back isn't going to break, I'll just schedule myself some weekly massages and that should help. Thank you for all the advice I never wanted to sleep train anyways, but so many people were telling me I should. I'm going to stick to my gut and what my baby needs.
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 29, 2014 at 9:27 PM
I was told by my doctor to get my dd down awake at 2 months old so she would learn. Glad I did. You just have to keep trying. I never rocked mine to sleep ever. I rocked or cuddled during the day a lot, never at bedtime. Bedtime was bedtime. We read stories on the couch too, not in the bedroom. Bedrooms are for sleep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SamMom912
by Silver Member on Nov. 29, 2014 at 10:13 PM

I found "health sleep habits, happy baby" a really helpful book on sleep. I'm sure you can get it at your library. 

How long do you rock her for? Is it a certain amount of time? Is it something you can slowly decrease the time? You mention your hand on her back and while I know it is reassuring her, it's also keeping you there... Lol... Which you're looking to put her into bed, securely and comfortably, and go to bed yourself. :) 

since you have a routine, I'd perhaps add in the time for snuggling (maybe less rocking, more just reassuring cuddling with an occasional rock?) for a period of time (5 -10 minutes?)  and then into the crib... 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)