Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need advice!!

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 2:04 PM
  • 5 Replies

This isn't about parenting, marriage, or kids so i appologize for this being in the wrong category, but i feel it will get the most response and that is what i need.

This is work related and i need advice of what you would do if you were in my shoes.

I've worked at my current job for 4 years. They have treated me like crap, and i've put up with it because i needed the job. Last month we moved to a town about 30 minutes away. On top of this commute my babysitter is clear across town (this is a big town i work in). My total commute takes 45 minutes one way. My current job pays $15/hr, but i get no benefits, and i can't work more than 30 hrs a week. So i see this job as not really worth my time and money now and they have started treating me even worse. I seriously want to just tell them to f*** off.

So here's where i need advice, about 2 weeks ago i really had it and put in for a job at another company. This company's location is still in the big town, but just at the edge. And i could find a sitter in my home town where i wouldn't have to drive across town for a sitter. In the mean time while waiting to hear from this job, i also put in and interviewed for a job for the school in my home town and put in an application at the extention office in my home town. Well heard back from the first job (Excel Machinery) and got the job. I told them i would have to give 2 weeks notice before i started, hoping that i would hear something back from the other jobs in my hometown before the 2 weeks was up. The school said it would be after Thanksgiving before they made a decision. And up until today i hadn't heard anything back from the extention office. But today they called and wanted to interview Monday at 4. Well, technically i start at Excel Machinery monday at 8 am and would not be able to make the interview.

I just don't know what to do. I would really rather have a job in my hometown so that i wouldn't have to commute, but i can't make it to the interview if i start this other job. But i can't be jobless either....

I emailed the hiring guy at excel and told him my current job needed me to stay an additional week to train the new hire and requested my start date be pushed back a week, but he replied that they really needed me to start monday. I just don't know if i should take this as a sign that i shouldn't take this job. But like i said i have to work....

ugh... please give me advice!

by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 2:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Bmat
by Barb on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:37 PM

Tough situation for sure.

My feeling is that you made the commitment to the first job and they are counting on you to be there. And it is a sure thing. You don't know for sure about the other job.

rgba
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this
At this point you need to either quit Excel and hope you get the other one, or just call the other one and be up front about what happened and ask if they have a different interview slot available when you are not at work.



Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyT642
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this

i got it all handled. I called the school and told them i had a job offer but really wanted their job and asked if they had made a decision. About an hour later they called back and said they found someone more qualified. As for the excel job, they said i can work from 7-4. So i called the extention office and asked if i could move the interview to 4:30. I'll start the job with excel, and if i get the job at the extention office i'll just have to tell them i found something in my hometown and i can't pass up the opportunity. If i don't hear anything back, then i'll continue to work for excel for 6 months to a year, then look again for something at home.

a_and_j_momma
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:41 PM
Good luck!

Quoting MommyT642:

i got it all handled. I called the school and told them i had a job offer but really wanted their job and asked if they had made a decision. About an hour later they called back and said they found someone more qualified. As for the excel job, they said i can work from 7-4. So i called the extention office and asked if i could move the interview to 4:30. I'll start the job with excel, and if i get the job at the extention office i'll just have to tell them i found something in my hometown and i can't pass up the opportunity. If i don't hear anything back, then i'll continue to work for excel for 6 months to a year, then look again for something at home.

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Nov. 25, 2014 at 1:24 AM

Way to go! And congratulations for getting out of the job you hate!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)