Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help!! Hygene issues with my 12 yr old DD

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 2:35 PM
  • 10 Replies
My 12 yr old daughter can care less about hygene. I am always having to tell her to brush her teeth, put deodorant on, brush her hair, take a shower and so on. It is driving me crazy. I dont know where she gets it from, im all about hygene. Any advice will be appreciated.
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 2:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmat
by Barb on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:17 PM
2 moms liked this

It is possible that it is a way to rebel against your standards.  So what is needed is a way for her to understand that your standards are reasonable.  I assume you've told her that as her body has been changing that smells that did not use to be there are now. She probably can't even smell herself. You can try backing off from the reminders, tell her that it is on her shoulders now to be responsible for her own hygiene. and then let it be.  She may test you by skipping all hygiene, but the first time she smells someone, or a friend says something about her smell,  then she'll have found out for herself, and it will be a lesson well learned.

Bmat
by Barb on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this

About the teeth:  If she doesn't keep her teeth clean, she'll get cavities and need fillings. If you have a friend who wears a partial, or even a full dental plate, this would be great- the person might oblige by slipping the device out and letting your daughter see what can happen if the teeth aren't taken care of (of course it could be bad teeth to begin with or other causes for the tooth loss, but the result is the same.)

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Nov. 26, 2014 at 7:59 PM

She will probably keep on like that until one day a friend or classmate says something.

knoxmomof2
by Bronze Member on Nov. 29, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Require certain things of her, that's what I'd do if mine weren't. My kids love the shower, so no issue there. Teeth brushing is an ongoing thing I have to remind. Deodorant, we're not quite there yet... but sure if I smell something, I would say "Sweetie, did you put your deodorant on today?" If not, "Okay, well you need to go do it." Eventually they'll figure out that you're just going to make them anyway.. I think.. LOL

virginiamama71
by Silver Member on Nov. 29, 2014 at 2:25 PM

this....

Quoting ceciliam:

She will probably keep on like that until one day a friend or classmate says something.

virginiamama71
by Silver Member on Nov. 29, 2014 at 2:26 PM

when did she stop taking care of herself

or is this something that's always been an issue? 

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 29, 2014 at 2:31 PM
Let her be gross and have kids tell her she stinks or her teeth look like crap.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brownhoney21
by Member on Nov. 29, 2014 at 2:38 PM

Yes this will be her wake up call. Her feelings will be hurt and she will be upset, it is sad it has to get to that point some kids are harsh.I have been thru this with  my girls.

Quoting ceciliam:

a_and_j_momma
by Platinum Member on Nov. 30, 2014 at 1:38 AM
Has she always been this way?
Courtney610
by Silver Member on Nov. 30, 2014 at 11:53 AM
I completely agree with all of this.

Quoting Bmat:

It is possible that it is a way to rebel against your standards.  So what is needed is a way for her to understand that your standards are reasonable.  I assume you've told her that as her body has been changing that smells that did not use to be there are now. She probably can't even smell herself. You can try backing off from the reminders, tell her that it is on her shoulders now to be responsible for her own hygiene. and then let it be.  She may test you by skipping all hygiene, but the first time she smells someone, or a friend says something about her smell,  then she'll have found out for herself, and it will be a lesson well learned.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)