Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Letter to daycare director-advice PLEASE?

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:35 PM
  • 16 Replies

Please tell me if I am coming off either too casual (so she doens't take me seriously/change things) or too strong (I don't want to be THAT mom...)?

Dear ****,

A--- had a hard time telling me this because he doesn't want to tattle on a teacher or get anybody in trouble, but he said I wouldn't like the music they play on the bus to school (or maybe from? I'm not sure...). He said he hears bad words and he asked his teacher about it and she said he didn't hear that. At first he said it was words like stupid and hate (which I don't like him to use at home) but then he admitted it is worse words and was able to tell me some I didn't know he was even aware of. The only specific song I've been able to determine is Black Widow by Iggy Azalea. Here is a link to the lyrics: http://www.directlyrics.com/iggy-azalea-black-widow-lyrics.html

I am really really not ok with him listening to this song or songs like it. It isn't the only one but it is the only specific one we've been able to put a title to. I am guessing you are not aware of the music your bus driver is playing. I feel like elementary school kids should be listening to children's songs, not songs about sex/hate etc. Definitely not songs with the F-word. Even if they are playing a version where is is bleeped out you can usually tell what word belongs there.

I don't mean to be a pain, and I know A--- doesn't want to cause a problem, but this one felt important enough to bring up. Please don't tell anyone A--- said something, he is very concerned about getting the bus driver in trouble or someone being mad at him.

Thanks,

by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Adnalor
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this
The letter is fine, but I can't help but feel like you should have s real conversation with the director.
leeshuh
by Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Do you think that would be better? Part of my reasoning was so I can include the link to the lyrics in case she doesn't know the song. Also, I'm not overreacting right?

Quoting Adnalor: The letter is fine, but I can't help but feel like you should have s real conversation with the director.

Adnalor
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:47 PM
I definitely don't think you are overreacting. I would never let my kids listen to that kind of music. I don't think I would want the driver to listen to music at all because it can be a distraction. But even kids CDs or disney songs would be better. I Can see you getting more anonymity with the letter, bug you might want to schedule a conference if you don't hear that things changed.

Quoting leeshuh:

Do you think that would be better? Part of my reasoning was so I can include the link to the lyrics in case she doesn't know the song. Also, I'm not overreacting right?

Quoting Adnalor: The letter is fine, but I can't help but feel like you should have s real conversation with the director.

leeshuh
by Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Thank you for your input. I may just talk to her when I pick them up today. I agree that music can be a distraction and I will mention that as well.

Thanks!

Quoting Adnalor: I definitely don't think you are overreacting. I would never let my kids listen to that kind of music. I don't think I would want the driver to listen to music at all because it can be a distraction. But even kids CDs or disney songs would be better. I Can see you getting more anonymity with the letter, bug you might want to schedule a conference if you don't hear that things changed.
Quoting leeshuh:

anotherandree
by Inga on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:52 PM
I agree that an actual conversation would be better. Also, while the uncut lyrics are terrible (!), if it was the radio version, they bleep out the worse if the words. Stupid an hate would still be in there, however.
leeshuh
by Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 6:02 PM

Thanks.

Usually it doesn't take much of an imagination to place the right words in the bleeps. He probably wouldn't be able to, but the older kids on the bus would.

Quoting anotherandree: I agree that an actual conversation would be better. Also, while the uncut lyrics are terrible (!), if it was the radio version, they bleep out the worse if the words. Stupid an hate would still be in there, however.

DonnaMarina
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 7:59 PM
2 moms liked this
This is a BIG problem today. The popular stations all play songs calling women b's, men to men calling each other my nig**, one song I heard talking about pulling panties down, sex, and list goes on. Its not just on a school bus. It's while we are shopping in stores too! Its sad that society puts such emphasis on physical things! This is a necessary convo for many people. I would send a starter letter telling her you are concerned about something on the bus, and you would like to discuss further on the phone. Way to go in being diligent in protecting children's innocence, furthering awareness, and change\ love to hear the conclusion to this. good luck!!!!!
cupcake_mom
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 8:02 PM
That's why you have it ready to go on your phone or print the lyrics

Quoting leeshuh:

a_and_j_momma
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I would talk to her in person. If you don't feel comfortable, then the letter is fine. You are right, they shouldn't be listening to that
leeshuh
by Member on Nov. 25, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Thank you! She is gone this week for the holidays but there is also no school so he won't be on a bus. I will address it first thing next week and let you know how it goes. 

That is so true, the songs are everywhere. It is so frustrating. While I don't want to keep him in a bubble, he is 6 and I agree with you we should protect children's innocence while we can. Also a song played in a car/bus is listened to much more closely than background music at the store.

Quoting DonnaMarina: This is a BIG problem today. The popular stations all play songs calling women b's, men to men calling each other my nig**, one song I heard talking about pulling panties down, sex, and list goes on. Its not just on a school bus. It's while we are shopping in stores too! Its sad that society puts such emphasis on physical things! This is a necessary convo for many people. I would send a starter letter telling her you are concerned about something on the bus, and you would like to discuss further on the phone. Way to go in being diligent in protecting children's innocence, furthering awareness, and change\ love to hear the conclusion to this. good luck!!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)