Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

One of those Days - Please tell me I'm not Alone.ld

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:30 AM
  • 5 Replies
1 mom liked this

So today, wake up, no time for a shower, food on my shirt, hair unbrushed and everywhere, haven't had a chance to brush my teeth yet or anything. My 11 month old daughter is already up, fed, changed, playing in her bouncer. 

Then the door buzzes, let the delivery guy I was unprepared for up the stair still looking like an absolute, gross messy mess. THEN baby decides to start SCREAMING about the door being open while I look a mess and am just trying to get the package he delivered. So I shut the door, continues to scream, in fusteration I open the front door trying to prove to her it is totally safe and not scary of course this instead just invokes a ton of screaming as if someone was attacking her...when it is just a door being open. 

We are in a secured building with just a few apartments inside of it on three floors (two per floor) so our door opens to a hallway. I am sure the neighbors could hear this chaos loud and clear that sounds like death when I am just trying to show her and tell her the door is not a scary thing. Husband gets mad and demands I shut the door and after a minute or two I do defeated on showing the door is not a bab thing with her still acting like the world was ending.

And in further fustration yes I did yell, quite loudly "No this is just a door stop it, it is ridiculous, knock it off right now, you better stop" and such. Poor neighbors, I love our daughter plenty but we have been dealing with this door phase for a month now, even the car door, any door we shut, at night time despite being full, changed, and even stories some nights she goes all out screaming bloody murder as soon as you shut the door for bed before falling asleep for the night. Keep in mind we are always within ear shot and behind doors only briefly besides night time and we have almost totally given up one of us always staying in the living room in direct reach so this makes chores and dinner tricky sometimes. 

I worry our neighors, delivery people, anyone thinks were something awful with the loud "no stop thats" and such. Because our calm voices are so quiet I am sure none of that is ever heard, just the latter. I really hope I am not alone on the baby drama that happens sometimes. 

by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 1:29 PM
Big hugs. I hope your day improves.

I'm having a rough day. I'm babysitting a friend's 4 month old who refuses to nap. She's been fighting it all morning. Then, I finally got her to sleep when my phone rang. It was my dad. He never calls during the day, so I knew it wasn't good. My uncle passed away.

I do not like today.
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 4:39 PM

You are not alone at all. I often wonder what our neighbors think of me because I often find myself at my wits end because of some weird quirk or phase our daughter is going through at the time. Guess it is all just part of parenthood. Hope your day has gotten better. 

by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 5:25 PM
Take a deep breath, and another. Talking loudly to the baby for the neighbor's benefit is probably not the best move, but you knew that already. Eleven months is a funny age where lots of things can seem fearful to them. Separation anxiety can also peak around this time.

Set small goals, I.e., tomorrow you will brush your hair.
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Every mom has days like this, well not the exact same scenario but just days where its hectic or you feel overwhelmed. There have been a few times I have raised my voice. I don't like it, but one of my dd's went through a phase in which she was testing her boundaries. She did not take anything seriously unless you raised your voice. Once you did, she would just look at us, say ok, and stop. Not an upset ok, just a simple acknowledgement. I thought I was going to lose my mind.

by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Nope. You are not alone. This is something most parents go through at one time or another.  Even veteren parents still have a moment where they have had an exceedingly frustrating and chaotic day. As for your daughter, just tell yourself that this is just a phase, she will get through this, it's just a phase. Repeat this as many times as necessary. Because it IS only just a phase and you WILL get through this. I promise. You'll get through this only to move on to something else. And so on and so forth until you have reached adulthood with your child(ren). 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)