Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What's the best response to a question you know will be asked?

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 2:19 PM
  • 12 Replies

A little background: my BFF and I met in college and quickly bonded. We're very close and talk about almost everything. We're the same build (both really petite), married within a couple of years of each other, have children about the same ages, and are both SAHMs. Basically, it's really nice to have someone close who could relate with me in almost every way.

In the past, we've jokingly talked about what it would be like to get breast augmentation. As we're both very petite, it's really difficult to find dressy grown up clothes that fit well at the top without having to rely heavily on extremely padded bras to fill/hold them up. Even v-neck shirts are hard to come by because there's very little chest to make the "v" in the shirt sit where it needs to go.

Add the fact that after nursing all of our children, we're now both nearly flat-chested. Needless to say, shopping for clothes is usually frustrating. I usually end up just wearing regular shirts and jeans when I go out. Can anyone relate to this? lol

Anyway, fast forward to this year... BFF has been saving up money, and in about 6 weeks, she's finally getting surgery! I'm so excited for her, and I'm happy to help her with the kids until she can recover.

In all of this, there's one question we both can't quite answer: What do you say to your young children when they see your new chest and ask why they're bigger?

Children's ages are boy 2, boy 3, and twin girls 5. Her little girls are sweet, smart, and really observant. They asks tons of questions and talk a lot with each other, and we're sure it won't take them long to notice the change in BFF. They also get ready together, so they see their mother naked a lot.

Obviously, BFF doesn't want to lie, but she's concerned about the message this might send her little girls about body image. She is only going for a small C cup. She doesn't want to look too busty, but the change will still be very noticeable going from barely AA to C, especially without clothes on.

Her DH supports her in this, but when I asked her what he thought, she laughed and told me he's also at a loss for what to say. lol

So what do you moms think the best appropriate response is to give to her little girls, who will surely notice their mother's improved "assets" and will surely ask how she got them and why?

No bashing please. Just advise. Thanks.

by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 2:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaLauri
by Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 2:39 PM

The ones that dress with her will notice the scars. She could wear big clothes to start, once she is healed, start to exercise. Then she could say it was the exercise, which will be in part true.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 3:05 PM
Going from AA to a C will look so fake but to each their own. Small petite women are not meant to be a C. My dd is 4 ft 10, 90lbs and would look stupid as a C. Her sister 5 ft 2 is a DD naturally.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on Dec. 4, 2014 at 4:33 PM
1 mom liked this

She should be honest and say that she had surgery to make them bigger. As for why, she could say because clothes will fit her better.

MusherMaggie
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 5:27 PM
She did it so her clothes would fit better. It's the truth!
midnight_storm
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 6:39 PM

She could say they grew bigger, which isnt a total lie depending on perspective. She could also just be honest and say she had surgery and now they are bigger, doesn't really need to elaborate on why she had surgery unless asked.

kirbymom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:22 PM
1 mom liked this

This is the advice I would give.

Quoting Bmat:

She should be honest and say that she had surgery to make them bigger. As for why, she could say because clothes will fit her better.

Its.me.Sam.
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 11:35 PM

i say be honest and say she had surgery to make them bigger - as for why say because she wanted to.  plain and simple. making 'excuses' as to why just makes it something that will seem needs to be justified.  
personally i think people need to look at the honest reasons that they would want to augment their body - usually it is as basic as not feeling that they look good enough .. and i think that is more of an issue that needs to be addressed rather that simply 'fixed'. BUT that said... i say people should do what makes them happy. 

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Dec. 6, 2014 at 5:19 PM

I'm 5'2" and quite slim and I am a natural DD.

Quoting atlmom2: Going from AA to a C will look so fake but to each their own. Small petite women are not meant to be a C. My dd is 4 ft 10, 90lbs and would look stupid as a C. Her sister 5 ft 2 is a DD naturally.

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Dec. 6, 2014 at 5:21 PM

I would recommend being age appropriate honest. If your friend is secure in her decision, then supplying her kids with an answer if the questions come up, should be no big deal.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 6, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Big difference between 4 ft 10 and 5 ft 2 is what I am saying.  My dd's are both. 

Quoting ceciliam:

I'm 5'2" and quite slim and I am a natural DD.

Quoting atlmom2: Going from AA to a C will look so fake but to each their own. Small petite women are not meant to be a C. My dd is 4 ft 10, 90lbs and would look stupid as a C. Her sister 5 ft 2 is a DD naturally.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)