Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"New Year, New Meals" Challenge Day 2: Let's Spice it Up!

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:07 AM
  • 49 Replies

Thank you for joining our "New Year, New Meals" Challenge. Today is Day 2 of the challenge! We hope you will continue to join us to find a little "dinspiration".

Your activity for Day 2 is: Let's Spice it Up!  We challenge you to use seasonings beyond salt & pepper!

Caraway Seed can be a great addition to potato salad, coriander has a wonderful lemon flavor and is often used in Mexican dishes and rosemary has a terrific earthy aroma, wonderful on potatoes or grilled meats.

Other spices to try:
Saffron
Herbes de Provence
Sage
Mace
Turmeric
Thyme

What are some of your favorite uncommon spices?

eating

Remember, you must reply to all 10 of the activities to be eligible to win the grand prize! Sign up here if you haven't yet.

by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rocrobin90
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:19 AM

Rosemary, Thyme

mamamiajk
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:22 AM

we make most of our meals and a lot of different soups from scratch so you really do have to get creative when adding flavors because otherwise they are just bland. I always make sure I have my cajun seasoning and cayenene pepper on hand also garlic salt. I don't like having to add a lot of table salt to anything because I tend to retain water like a camel and that I really don't need. I also like lemon pepper when it comes to seafood dishes.

dmwood
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:22 AM

I love using herbes de provence! One of my favorite spices to use is cumin. It adds so much flavor to chili, roasts or even potatoes. 

othermom
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:23 AM

I don't really have any uncommon spices I use. We have racks of different spices though that we use

chicken13
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:30 AM

cumin ....add it to mexican dishes.

ohwrite
by Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:32 AM

I love spices and seasonings. Basil and garlic powder are two of my favorites, but I also love fennel, celery seed and rosemary. I often add fennel to my spaghetti sauce, and celery seed to potato salad.

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:38 AM

I add turmeric whenever I can. I also like Herbs de Provence- especially when I just want to enhance a dish.

I've never used mace.

SweetLuci
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:39 AM

Herbes de Provance is wonderful. I love using it.

SweetLuci
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Mace is the outside covering of nutmeg, similar in taste.

Quoting Bmat:

I add turmeric whenever I can. I also like Herbs de Provence- especially when I just want to enhance a dish.

I've never used mace.

aidensmomma508
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:40 AM

When I made chili I used cumin it was good on other things too

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)