Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Armstrong laminate floors

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 3:17 PM
  • 12 Replies
Anybody have experience with them? My beautiful wood flooes were torn out the day before Thanksgiving but now the insurance check is here and i can finally get new ones! We found an Armstrong one we really like. Any experience with them?
by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 3:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmat
by Barb on Dec. 20, 2014 at 3:29 PM

When I was shopping for new flooring I examined the pros and cons of laminate.  The main con was that they can't be sanded down and refinished (or not more than once.) The pros were cheaper than hardwood.  I've also found since that hardwood raises the height of the flooring more than laminate- so a floor that we did not have replaced by hardwood has a small drop from the hardwood to the old floor. My builder said that laminate and hardwood have a different sound when walking on them, but I haven't noticed this. Armstrong is a reputable brand, so if you have a laminate that you like, I'd say go for it. :)

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Dec. 20, 2014 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't have much experience with them but my concern is always resale value. There will be more value in hardwood than laminate.

Bmat
by Barb on Dec. 20, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Good point.

Quoting ceciliam:

I don't have much experience with them but my concern is always resale value. There will be more value in hardwood than laminate.

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 5:54 PM
Laminate is more durable than hardwood. With kids, pets, and living in the country that was a major factor for us.

Quoting ceciliam:

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 5:59 PM
Thanks for the input. All of our hardwood had to be pulled up so there won't be a height difference between floors but I'll watch for that on things like reinstalling our dishwasher. The sanding thing is very true we were just getting ready to sand down and refinish our floors when this happened. Hubby went ahead and ordered it so it looks like that's what we're going with. I'm so excited to have flooring again!

Quoting Bmat:

When I was shopping for new flooring I examined the pros and cons of laminate.  The main con was that they can't be sanded down and refinished (or not more than once.) The pros were cheaper than hardwood.  I've also found since that hardwood raises the height of the flooring more than laminate- so a floor that we did not have replaced by hardwood has a small drop from the hardwood to the old floor. My builder said that laminate and hardwood have a different sound when walking on them, but I haven't noticed this. Armstrong is a reputable brand, so if you have a laminate that you like, I'd say go for it. :)

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Dec. 21, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Believe me ...I get that! :) I have my son and a German Shepherd, plus a cat. I've been researching hardwood because we want to pull out all our carpeted areas and do all hardwood throughout. What I learned is solid hardwood floors is most durable (not engineered) but I get that laminate is more durable than engineered wood.

Quoting JasonsMom2007: Laminate is more durable than hardwood. With kids, pets, and living in the country that was a major factor for us.
Quoting ceciliam:

Bmat
by Barb on Dec. 21, 2014 at 6:51 PM

We've had solid hardwood for about a year and a half,  three and then two cats, and the floors still look like new. I am very happy with them.

Quoting ceciliam:

Believe me ...I get that! :) I have my son and a German Shepherd, plus a cat. I've been researching hardwood because we want to pull out all our carpeted areas and do all hardwood throughout. What I learned is solid hardwood floors is most durable (not engineered) but I get that laminate is more durable than engineered wood.

Quoting JasonsMom2007: Laminate is more durable than hardwood. With kids, pets, and living in the country that was a major factor for us.
Quoting ceciliam:

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Dec. 21, 2014 at 7:04 PM

That's good to hear. We have solid wood in our foyer, family room and hallways and we have had 2 German SHepherds and 4 cats on these floors and  they still look great. The only problem is I don't like the color, so my plan is to refinish them in a walnut tone and then match the new flooring when we get rid of the carpets.

Quoting Bmat:

We've had solid hardwood for about a year and a half,  three and then two cats, and the floors still look like new. I am very happy with them.

Quoting ceciliam:

Quoting ceciliam:

Bmat
by Barb on Dec. 21, 2014 at 7:08 PM

This is what we did, too- all carpeting out, replaced by the hardwood. The only places I didn't put hardwood were the kitchen and bathrooms.  We lucked out with the color, it matches our cherry furniture and doesn't conflict in color with our light wood shutter and built ins. My son said don't get dark hardwood with cats in the house, but they haven't scratched it at all.

Quoting ceciliam:

That's good to hear. We have solid wood in our foyer, family room and hallways and we have had 2 German SHepherds and 4 cats on these floors and  they still look great. The only problem is I don't like the color, so my plan is to refinish them in a walnut tone and then match the new flooring when we get rid of the carpets.

Quoting Bmat:

Quoting ceciliam:

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Dec. 21, 2014 at 7:17 PM

Awesome! When we do it we will include the kitchen but not the bathrooms. The kitten I have now is really good about letting me trim her nails and she doesn't shed. It will be my GSD that will be a  problem.

Quoting Bmat:

This is what we did, too- all carpeting out, replaced by the hardwood. The only places I didn't put hardwood were the kitchen and bathrooms.  We lucked out with the color, it matches our cherry furniture and doesn't conflict in color with our light wood shutter and built ins. My son said don't get dark hardwood with cats in the house, but they haven't scratched it at all.

Quoting ceciliam:

Quoting Bmat:

Quoting ceciliam:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)