Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I being a Nosy Neighbor?

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 4:56 PM
  • 13 Replies

I'm really at a loss how to handle this situation, so any advice is appreciated. 

Recently a new family moved in next door--three kids, very sweet young family. Their daughter and mine have become instant BFFs. My issue is that often (as in at least once per day) I'll see the little girl (5YO) on the front lawn playing by herself, with no parent/grandparent in sight or earshot. 

We live on a fairly well-trafficked street in an urban area. When I say 'lawn', it's not a huge expanse of grass, but more like a postage stamp. I'm concerned that 1) she is going to run into the street as I've seen her do before, when a car is coming; or 2) worse *shudder* that she will simply disappear off the street. 

Last night we came back from a family walk at 8 p.m.  --pitch black out--and she was outside (alone) in her PJs, barefoot, playing near the sidewalk! We live in a warmer climate, but still... One opportunistic creep coming by at the right time and who knows what might happen? 

Am I being too nosy? Is it really my business? I keep thinking "how will I feel if something happens to her..?" but also see they're clearly involved in the other aspects of her life. She's a happy, healthy kid who appears well-taken care of except for this one thing. 

Should I say anything? And if I do, how? Our kids play together (usually at our house bc I don't want my kid unsupervised for hours at a time) all the time, but we're not exactly gerat friends with the parents. Is there a tactful way to tell your new neighbors that their kid needs to be supervised more? 

by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 4:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ilaynasmommy
by Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 5:09 PM
how do you know they cant hear her?

dd wants to play outside alone. i let her think she is sometimes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Alie303
by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 5:36 PM

I'm assuming that, since Mom and/or G'ma are usually in the backyard while she's in the front yard alone. No visible open doors or windows--the houses are pretty darn close, so it's not too difficult to see/hear if someone's windows/doors are open. 

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Dec. 20, 2014 at 6:19 PM

While I would have never let my 5 year old play alone in the front yard (and I live on a quiet cul-de-sac), I recognize other parents parent differently and may have a more free range approach, so I would likely mind my own business.

anotherandree
by Inga on Dec. 20, 2014 at 6:23 PM
Our 5 yr old was quite able to play in the front yard by himself. The 1 time he went into the street after a ball, he was punished and it never happened again. I would be PISSED and annoyed if someone told me how to raise my child if there wasn't anything actually wrong.
othermom
by Gold Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 6:25 PM

My 5 year old will play outside alone, has for a while, we have a fenced yard though and I do look out often to check on her. We live on a quiet street  at the end of a cud-le-sac

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Dec. 20, 2014 at 6:38 PM
My kids play outside by themselves. I check on them.
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 6:45 PM
I would not get in the middle. A long time ago our 5 year old neighbor roamed everywhere. I just didn't worry about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamamiajk
by Platinum Member on Dec. 21, 2014 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I had neighbors here too a long time ago (she got evicted) had 3 kids which I found out were not even hers. They were foster children that she got paid to keep. Another nosey neighbor told me. Anyway it's the same scenerio and only got worse with time. My SO saw her playing out in my driveway under his company owned straight box truck at 11PM. It seemed like nothing would ever be done and the older they got the more they rerrorized the neighborhood. I could write a book about the things that went on. Anyway....long story short CPS finally sent someone that actually cared about his job and the kids involved. By this time the 2 older of the 3 were having kids of their own. I guess I'd just tell you to follow your gut instinct and do what you have to. Peace

a_and_j_momma
by Platinum Member on Dec. 21, 2014 at 12:33 PM
I would never do that and can understand your concern. However, different people parent different and you don't know they aren't checking on her or have a window open, etc. I would leave it alone
Breeea
by Member on Dec. 21, 2014 at 12:48 PM

I would report it. Not to be mean, but because a child has no voice. No way I would leave my young child at the mercy of this cruel world. Best wishes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)