Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To or not to let baby cry it out

Posted by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 9:43 PM
  • 65 Replies
My son is 5 1/2 months old. He drinks his last bottle anywhere from 9-10 and will usually sleep until 4-5. But in between those times he ALWAYS wakes up. I have to get him out of his crib and rock him back to sleep. Sometimes I end up just laying with him on his bedroom floor until he falls back to sleep because I'm so tired. My husband refuses to help me put him back to sleep so I can sleep for once. He insists letting him cry it out. The problem with that is I know he wouldn't stop screaming. He's only 5 1/2 months old he's a baby and he needs me. He doesn't understand that we're trying to let him cry it out. He thinks he's being neglected by me and that kills me. I have never let him cry it out before. I'll let him fuss for a minute to see if he goes back to sleep but he starts crying so I'll get him. I just don't feel like letting him CIO this young is good for him at all. When he cries he reeeeeally cries. Red face and hysterical scream and all. What do you think about CIO????
by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 9:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Dec. 25, 2014 at 11:00 PM
2 moms liked this
We don't cio. We respond to their needs. All my kids were waking nightly to nurse for a year.
waytomanykids10
by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 11:20 PM
4 moms liked this

I will not ever let them cio, I think it is cruel.

Meganisher
by Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 11:24 PM
We started CIO at around 3 months but never let her cry more than 10 minutes , especially the cry you are describing. The cry you describe , I typically immediately go to her.
lost2013
by Bronze Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 11:36 PM
I did the CIO method when my oldest DD was 12 months old but I was weaning her of the breast and that is the only way she knew how to fall asleep. I didn't met her go longer than 5-10 minutes. My youngest is 6 months and is a horrible sleeper she wakes a lot at night but I can't let her CIO because she shares a room with my oldest DD. My DH doesn't get up with my kids either.
momtotwo08
by Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 11:41 PM
I didn't do it with my oldest and at 3 he STILL woke up in the middle of the night and would say he was hungry and wanted a corn dog or a sandwich. I didn't stop rocking him until he was 5! With my second we let him CIO around 5 months. I wouldn't let him cry more than 10 min and would pick him up and hold him for a minute then lay him back down. After a few nights he went to sleep without crying. He's 4 now and goes to sleep on his own perfectly. I have a one month old now and we will probably do the same with her. Good luck in whatever you decide!
SuckIt69
by Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 11:49 PM
I understand you're not supposed to use cio until a year old or more. Until then, you're supposed to respond to their needs. It's hard, yes, But that's what they need.

They usually start self soothing on their own by a year or shortly thereafter on their own anyways.
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Dec. 26, 2014 at 1:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Some kids are high needs. I've never let any of my three cio. First is a good sleeper, second has never been, and third is a good sleeper. They're all different but one thing remained: we respond to their needs throughout the night. My second is 2 years old and loves being rocked to sleep. They grow too fast. Way too fast. I cherish these moments.

Quoting momtotwo08: I didn't do it with my oldest and at 3 he STILL woke up in the middle of the night and would say he was hungry and wanted a corn dog or a sandwich. I didn't stop rocking him until he was 5! With my second we let him CIO around 5 months. I wouldn't let him cry more than 10 min and would pick him up and hold him for a minute then lay him back down. After a few nights he went to sleep without crying. He's 4 now and goes to sleep on his own perfectly. I have a one month old now and we will probably do the same with her. Good luck in whatever you decide!
Jenn8604
by on Dec. 26, 2014 at 1:14 AM
I always take care of my son when he cries. Even at 6 years old I make sure he knows I'm there for him. I don't baby him. If there's no blood gushing or any awkward limbs when I check on him I just give him a hug so he knows I'm there and off he goes to do something else.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Dec. 26, 2014 at 1:28 AM
Have you tried co sleeping? It's not generally recommended with bottle fed babies, but if you're sleeping in his floor with him anyway, the bed would be preferable.
alldaymommy
by on Dec. 26, 2014 at 1:34 AM
1 mom liked this
No I Would not let him CIO.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)