Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mixing Product Uses

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 12:32 PM
  • 8 Replies

Ok so Im a new forum questionnaire lol. Seems like there are some interesting topics and mine might not be so interesting on the surface but it can be applied ot every aspect of motherhood.

LET ME EXPLAIN:

My moody teenage girl (moody and teenage are superlative) convinced me to spend big bucks for her Invisalign retainer. She is very into boys and think that the boys will care more about the straightness of her teeth than her moody personality :) 

So I took 4 grand out of our tight budget and gor her the retainers. Now she complains about how disgusting and nasty they get..... TO THE POINT THAT SHE DOESNT WEAR THEM ANYM ORE! Ahhhhhh!

So I went to the dentist where she got them and he gave me a pretty cool cleaning solution SPECIFICALLY MADE FOR dental stuff. The solution is a 60 second cleaning solution that seems quite powerful and my dentist said it is the most powerful out there but doesnt have any bad chemicals (doesnt even have coloring). So I said "What the hell I already spent 4k whats another 20bucks for a bottle of this oap cleaner stuff".

Short version is my moodinator tried it and LOVED IT. She brings it to school with her and now wears her Invisalign like she should. 

HERE IS WHERE MY QUESTION COMES IN:

I met a family friend with younger children and to my surprise she also used this Oap cleaner cleaning solution. She USED IT ON HER BABY'S PACIFIER. She said her daughter kept getting strep and her pediatrician suggested it could be from her pacifier falling on floors and being touched so she should use this Oap Cleaner stuff that kills the nasties lingering on the pacifier.

Seems like a good idea, but if it doesnt SPECIFICALLY say to use on a pacifier, is it ok to use? My dentist vouched for the ingredients, it is FDA cleared etc. but should the label not saying "FOR USE ON PACIFIERS" GIVE ME PAUSE?

AND........... GO! COMMENT AWAY!

by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 12:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
a_and_j_momma
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 12:43 PM
Welcome to the group! I can't see your question. You can edit the post by clicking on the gear looking button
ELAURIE
by New Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Sorry :) you can see my newbieness :) I updated the post to have my question.... Feel free to tell me if Im rambling LOL..... I tend to do that sometimes. My hubby tells me im a "bunny on crack.... in a good loving way"

sabrtooth1
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Soap and water work just fine on a pacifier.  In a pinch, WATER ALONE will rinse the bugs off a pacifier.  It does not need to be sterilized.

As for the Invisalign retainer, they only need to be worn 12 hours a day, normally at night.  That gives you plenty of time to soak you appliance in Efferdent for a few hours.  Efferdent costs $14.19 for 240 tablets--that's a NINE MONTH supply.  You are spending $25 on a bottle of hooey.  PS: I am a Registered Dental Hygienist, however I am NOT earning a commission on selling hooey.

ELAURIE
by New Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 1:21 PM

:0 Thanks for the response!

So, I told my friend the soap and water thing and she said she told me that she said she did exactly that and even told her pediatrician that. He responded that water and standard soap will not get rid of Strep and the likes. 

I forgot to mention that miss moody used the tablet things (im not sure it was eferdent, but had some other name) and she complained it made the plastic (is that what it is made of?) yellowie and it was annoying to do the soak and cup in school. 

I am going to tell her to push on and suck it up lol. And when she moddies allover me about that ill tell her a Dental Hygienist told me so :)

Reina13
by on Dec. 29, 2014 at 11:39 AM

I think soap and water is fine for the pacifier. But it they are prone to bacterial infections, I would disinfect it first. 

ELAURIE
by New Member on Dec. 29, 2014 at 1:03 PM

She said supposedly this stuff kills infection on the pacifiers. But using for other uses scares me. 

Jenn8604
by on Dec. 29, 2014 at 1:07 PM
Personally if my kid kept getting strep I would pitch all the pacifiers I had an buy new ones and make sure I cleaned hem regularly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
illneverbeold
by Member on Dec. 29, 2014 at 4:14 PM

White vinegar and water would work too and it is super cheap! Anyhow, if it were me, I would've used it to clean a pacifier in a pinch too. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)