Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Holding your baby a lot

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:28 PM
  • 46 Replies
Does anybody else believe that there is such thing as holding your infant too much? Everyone kept telling me I hold my son way too much. I personally don't think I am. He's only 11 weeks old and he's not going to cry for no reason. I think he sees me as a way of comfort and he just feels more comfortable that way. He even sleeps with me. (It's easier than staying up all night and I just moved so I don't have room to put up his crib) )Everyone kept saying my life will be hard later, cuz supposedly he won't ever want to be put down. Plus, I enjoy bonding with him and he is a mommy's boy. I also let him lay on the couch with his pillow or I put him in his floor gym. Am I in the wrong here?
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
theboyfactory
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:30 PM
I hold my babies as much as I want and do not worry about what others think.

My grown kids don't seem to be harmed by it. They'd die if I attempted to hold them now...lol.
Sun_Shine_990
by Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:38 PM

I honestly think that it's perfectly fine to hold them all you want now.

I feel that when the time is right they'll grow out of it and be normal and want to run around and play or whatever it is that kids do. if it feels right and isn't hurting them then don't worry about what others say... he'll be fine.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:47 PM
I never felt I had to hold mine constantly but mine were not the type babies to cry and demand to be held.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:52 PM

Do what works for you and your baby. Disregard what anyone else says.

SkyeMom94
by Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:53 PM
He likes to be down when I put him down unless he's tired. He has a hard time sleeping unless he's with me. I am just tired of everyone telling me this and my own nana calls me selfish because I don't take him over to her house every day. Plus, she wants me to take him to see family that never cared to get ahold of me. The only real family I have is my mom and sister. (Besides my mother and sister in law, really)
Retrokitty
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:55 PM
4 moms liked this
Being held is a need, not a want. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

There is a belief that putting down babies crests independence, but it's compl false. Independence stems from attachment.
gina5808
by Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:58 PM
I've heard that holding your baby a lot will make him more secure and cry less and babies held little will be more demanding. I think I read it in a parenting book and my babies were pretty easy.
nikkibrown312
by New Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:00 PM
Everyone told me the same thing when I had my son. He did want to be held all the time, he's 17 months old now and rarely lets me hold him. I never listened, he's an independent little man. You wanna hold your baby? Hold your baby!!
illogicalkat
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:00 PM

No such thing as holding your baby too much.

SkyeMom94
by Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks Ladies. That makes me feel better. He is such a good baby. He only cries when he's hungry or some times needs changed.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)