Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

How do I explain to a 3 year old?

Posted by   + Show Post
Please don't bash me but I need some help.  My 3 year old boy likes to pretend to shoot things.  My hubby just says that it is what boys do.  I don't agree!  My hubby hunts and we have guns in our house.  They are all locked in the safe.  My dad and my hubby's dad all have guns that are locked in a safe.  I am concerned I know he does not understand what a gun can do.  Every time I see him doing this I stop him and tell him we do not shoot people animals or things!  I tell him guns hurt people!  He did get one toy gun for his birthday(that I took away right away)from his uncle.  I have told everyone that he can not have toy guns until he understands what a gun is and what it can do.  I have asked him who shoots things and he tells me the man on open season has a gun.  He loves that movie but I no longer let him watch it.  How do I explain to him that shooting and guns can really hurt someone? 
by on Jan. 10, 2008 at 4:40 PM
Replies (11-13):
Elyssa414
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 10:47 PM
Well, this kid would be 7 now, does he still pretend to shoot things?? Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momsunite
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 12:33 PM

First of all, you are sending that little child very mixed messages, if your husband hunts and has guns in the house, and then you tell him, guns hurt people and animals, wow, that would confuse me too. I think you needed to realize you were having children with someone who has different ideas about guns than you do. I dont like guns, we dont have any, but my husband doesnt hunt. I think you have to realize that he IS a boy, and it is natural for boys to have that trait. It sounds like you are angry at your husband for doing everything you tell your child is wrong. I think you should talk to your husband about your feelings.... but understand a  yr. old will be confused in that enviornment.  good luck girl.

lucsch
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 12:40 PM

I agree witth your dh, especially considering he hunts. We have never had a gun, and I refused to buy toy guns; yet all 3 of our boys would pretend to make guns from legos! If it helps you at all to know, they have all grown up to be normal and without any interest in guns (24, 19 and 17 now).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN