Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does it matter?

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 12:57 PM
  • 28 Replies

If you are comfortable with your life, have food to eat, clothes to wear and a roof over your head does it really matter how much money you make/have? We don't make or have a lot of extra money(yes, I know I just bought a car)but we are happy and comfortable. We are looking at pre-need packages for our final expenses and have money to go out and eat once in a while. DD is taken care of and will be in college in 1 1/2 years. I have always heard "money doesn't make you happy" and now I believe it. So do you think what you make/have matters?  

by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 12:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 2:03 PM

We are pretty well set in life, own 2 homes.  Money doesn't make you happy.  You have to be happy in life and every day living.  It does make it easier to know retirement money is there whether we end up with any social security or not. We never ever over spend and never have when we didn't have money or when we do. 

I read that not having money is the reason for the demise of many marriages so I do think at least having enough to be comfortable does matter.  More than that, no.  Its just icing on the cake. 

1squishysmom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I happen to know a few miserable wealthy people.

We, on the other hand, are VERY happily married, have 2 happy, well-adjusted, grown boys. We are lucky to have our home paid for, but still have major expenses. Often times we have little left at the end of the month.

We have raised our boys to seek a profession that makes them HAPPY. They will be doing their job nearly every day for the next 50 or so years, why be miserable? Money can make you more comfortable, certainly not more happy.

Pukalani79
by Ivy on Dec. 31, 2014 at 5:51 PM
1 mom liked this
We have been very financially uncomfortable and now we are pretty comfortable. I don't believe money makes you happy, but it can help lessen stresss
Zazayam
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 6:07 PM

I think it matters when you don't make/have enough. Being poor sucks. I mean 'how am I going to feed the kids this week' or 'I can't afford the gas to get to work' poor. Been there, and the little bit of money we have now definitely makes me happier.

I don't consider us poor, but we're not exactly well off and we'll never be rich (unless we win the lotto that I rarely remember to play). All of our bills are paid, there's enough money for everything we need and even a little extra. That's plenty for us, we're comfortable :)

charm2mama
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 6:12 PM
I think having too little or too much money is bad. Being poor has to be extremely stressful but being very wealthy can bring problems related with greed. I don't know what the sweet spot is but I was once told beyond a salary hike beyond 80K will not make you happiness. I don't know if I believe that but I believe being comfortable is key.
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 6:35 PM
Everyone I know is happy an all our family and friends make way over $80,000 as a family. I think that is nuts that everyone who makes decent money must be unhappy. Life is what you make it regardless. I think poverty is more likely to make people stressed and unhappy than $500,000 a year.

Quoting charm2mama: I think having too little or too much money is bad. Being poor has to be extremely stressful but being very wealthy can bring problems related with greed. I don't know what the sweet spot is but I was once told beyond a salary hike beyond 80K will not make you happiness. I don't know if I believe that but I believe being comfortable is key.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tracys2
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 7:01 PM

No. The happiest times I had in life were very low on money. Now, for families, there can be stress and arguing if you're not on the same page, wihch is unfortunate, but for an individual, I think in my experience, more money usually leads to less happiness, after bills are paid. The people who I know who've been happiest, have worked but focused more on what they can do for each other and volunteering and spending time with people they care about, and money and work have been very low priorities, beyond keeping a job and paying bills and not trying to impress people with cars or houses. I need to work on the not loving work too much thing, but definitely learned not to try to impress people a long time back, and that was the best thing I learned this decade.

diaperstodating
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this

No, material things don't matter.

drunkontea
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 7:13 PM
People are just mean. I have those things but because I don't own uggs and Miss Mes etc (can't afford them) other women at my daughters school say horrible things about me( long story how I know they are)

I
Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 7:34 PM

It doesn't matter to me. I need to start working on a nest egg though to prepare for retirement. Me & my dh make enough to pay the bills & have some left over at the end of the month. We own our car & house with no debt.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)