Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Decisions

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:44 AM
  • 15 Replies
So, backstory: I have degrees in graphic design and web design. I took a year off after having dd because of her Spina Bifida. Then I found out s2bxh cheated(his girlfriend is now pregnant) and had to move in with family. Where I live there's no nobs in my field and I have no money/credit/family that can afford to pay for me to move to a big city with dd to find a graphics job. Nobody around me wants to hire a person with a degree for a min-wage position. All of the factories won't hire until mid spring. The jobs only jobs I haven applied for are night jobs but, that's only because I have know that I couldn't find a babysitter every night.

I've decided to go back to school. I'm going to go for LPN and eventually RN.

Here's the decision I need to make:

I'll continue to get PA(foodstamps and maybe TAA) until I got my LPN then work while I get my RN.

-or-

I'll get PA until I get my CNA and work through my LPN then get a LPN job while I get my RN. Then I'll be off or on a lot less PA.

The second sounds awesome but, I need to be sure I can handle being a single mom, a class load, and a job. So long as he doesn't do something crazy, dd's dad will continue to get her on weekends so I'm sure I'll have most Friday's and Saturdays free for work and studying.

What are your thoughts?
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheRingmaster
by Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 12:13 PM
That's something only you can decide
HAHuskey
by Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:14 PM
I know. I was seeking opinions.

Quoting TheRingmaster: That's something only you can decide
illneverbeold
by Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:20 PM

I always recommend the work route. I have a friend with Duschens (sp?) and he does graphic design contracting with companies via electronically. He is unable to attend a regular job, but does quite well with the contracting. He also lives in a small town. Something to consider in your options while attending school.

MusherMaggie
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:20 PM
A couple more things to consider: time frame for each option and job availability.
anotherandree
by Inga on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:21 PM

I would take it one step at a time.  If school is incredibly draining and you couldn't imagine working on top of that, then I would plow through to the end.  If you find that you can perfectly manage school, work, and life, then end the PA and get a job while you continue after the first step.  Don't try and get ahead of yourself! :)

rgba
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:25 PM
Is your current degree a bachelors?

Honestly, skip the CNA. Do as fast a track as you can to RN. I would skip the LPN, as well, if possible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HAHuskey
by Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:32 PM
I don't have the money to buy the programs. I can't start working on graphics stuff until I have them. :/

Quoting illneverbeold:

I always recommend the work route. I have a friend with Duschens (sp?) and he does graphic design contracting with companies via electronically. He is unable to attend a regular job, but does quite well with the contracting. He also lives in a small town. Something to consider in your options while attending school.

rgba
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:32 PM
To add to this:

If your end goal is an RN, the cna is a waste of time that you could spend at the next level.

An LPN only takes a year. Start with that if you need to.

Or, look into an associates RN degree, which only takes 2 years, then you can upgrade to a bachelors when you are employed.

Be wise with your time.

Quoting rgba: Is your current degree a bachelors?

Honestly, skip the CNA. Do as fast a track as you can to RN. I would skip the LPN, as well, if possible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HAHuskey
by Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:35 PM
It's an associates. It's all you really need in graphics. The issue is that the town(and surrounding areas) I'm in here in Arkansas doesn't exactly have a booming art industry. Mine and my s2bxh had plans in moving to Shreveport Louisiana and I could find jobs left and right. Then he cheated and I had to move in with family.

HAHuskey
by Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:39 PM
Since I have a degree, I do have some credits that will transfer. Like English, history, and the basic math, and freshman seminar. So that should help speed things a tiny bit. Lol

Quoting rgba: To add to this:

If your end goal is an RN, the cna is a waste of time that you could spend at the next level.

An LPN only takes a year. Start with that if you need to.

Or, look into an associates RN degree, which only takes 2 years, then you can upgrade to a bachelors when you are employed.

Be wise with your time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)