Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

LEEP? Has Anyone Had It Done? Please Share!

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 3:20 PM
  • 9 Replies

I posted the other day about my abnormal pap and treatment options we were looking at. It looks like we're going to go with a LEEP procedure, where they excise pre-cancerous cervical cells. It sounds, well, terrifying. I've gotten a milliion potential horror stories while trying to look up other women's experiences. Bleeding for months? No sex drive or can't have sex for months? Awful pain? I understand it won't be fun, but has anyone had it done? Please tell me, what was the actual procedure like? How painful was it? How is recovery? When were you able to have sex with your DH or SO? Were there any significant longer lasting problems? I don't know anyone personally who's had anything done beyond a colposcopy, so I could definitely use the experience of the moms here.Thanks!

by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 3:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Mom2FourInIndy
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 6:07 PM

bump!

KSBlueyz
by Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 6:23 PM
I've had it done. The procedure itself wasn't painful, just uncomfortable. Not in a painful way, but in a "I know someone is down there doing things kind of way". They did have me take a Tylenol just before to ward off "uncomfortable cramping" that I was supposed to get afterwards. I never did cramp afterwards. You will bleed afterwards...for a few days and then spot for almost a week, but that was kinda it for me.

It sounds scary, but really isn't something to worry too much about.
Mom2FourInIndy
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 8:03 PM

Quoting KSBlueyz: I've had it done. The procedure itself wasn't painful, just uncomfortable. Not in a painful way, but in a "I know someone is down there doing things kind of way". They did have me take a Tylenol just before to ward off "uncomfortable cramping" that I was supposed to get afterwards. I never did cramp afterwards. You will bleed afterwards...for a few days and then spot for almost a week, but that was kinda it for me. It sounds scary, but really isn't something to worry too much about.

What about resuming usual activities - swimming, using tampons, sex, etc. I'm familiar with the "someone's down there doing something funky" discomfort. I had three c-sections!

KSBlueyz
by Member on Jan. 7, 2015 at 8:24 AM
You'll be good to go for all of that when the bleeding stops.

Quoting Mom2FourInIndy:

Quoting KSBlueyz: I've had it done. The procedure itself wasn't painful, just uncomfortable. Not in a painful way, but in a "I know someone is down there doing things kind of way". They did have me take a Tylenol just before to ward off "uncomfortable cramping" that I was supposed to get afterwards. I never did cramp afterwards. You will bleed afterwards...for a few days and then spot for almost a week, but that was kinda it for me.

It sounds scary, but really isn't something to worry too much about.

What about resuming usual activities - swimming, using tampons, sex, etc. I'm familiar with the "someone's down there doing something funky" discomfort. I had three c-sections!

Mygirl30248
by Member on Jan. 7, 2015 at 8:33 AM

I had one, but like at 19 yo. It sounds way more terrifying then it is. 

It was quick & easy felt like a pap, possibly a bit more pinching. Otherwise quick & done, a little cramping afterwards then a follow up pap, not sure exactly how many weeks after to see if it worked. 

As far as in the bedroom stuff I honestly could not tell you sorry but I'd imagine with how I felt 24 hours IMO is how long until everything probably was all set but again this was 10 years ago now. 

Good luck! 

Mygirl30248
by Member on Jan. 7, 2015 at 8:36 AM

Oh yes, I forgot in my post, I had spotting, no actual bleeding like this particular mom experienced. I'd imagine for all it's different just like anything else. I do recall I left the office with extra pads though but I only spotted. 

Quoting KSBlueyz: I've had it done. The procedure itself wasn't painful, just uncomfortable. Not in a painful way, but in a "I know someone is down there doing things kind of way". They did have me take a Tylenol just before to ward off "uncomfortable cramping" that I was supposed to get afterwards. I never did cramp afterwards. You will bleed afterwards...for a few days and then spot for almost a week, but that was kinda it for me. It sounds scary, but really isn't something to worry too much about.

Mom2FourInIndy
by on Jan. 7, 2015 at 11:59 AM

Quoting Mygirl30248:

It was quick & easy felt like a pap, possibly a bit more pinching. Otherwise quick & done, a little cramping afterwards then a follow up pap, not sure exactly how many weeks after to see if it worked. 

As far as in the bedroom stuff I honestly could not tell you sorry but I'd imagine with how I felt 24 hours IMO is how long until everything probably was all set but again this was 10 years ago now. 

Good luck! 

Thanks so much. It DOES sound insanely terrifying, it stands for something electrical excision procedure. Eek! It sounds like it may be far more manageable than it sounds. After that, I just have to tackle the adenomyosis problem. One step at a time!

Mygirl30248
by Member on Jan. 7, 2015 at 12:29 PM

Yeah I cried when they called me to explain. I went in for a pap then I get a call & they said the word cancer on the call & that's all I honestly heard, I was crying. I also was 19yo so I had no idea what was going on, if it happened now I don't know if I'd be nearly upset. 

Once it was done though & my follow up came back normal I have not heard of it since. But yeah the words & way it sounds makes it sound like it's so much more, granted they are cancerous cells but this procedure to my understanding usually takes care of things. Good luck! 

Quoting Mom2FourInIndy:

Quoting Mygirl30248:

Good luck! 

Thanks so much. It DOES sound insanely terrifying, it stands for something electrical excision procedure. Eek! It sounds like it may be far more manageable than it sounds. After that, I just have to tackle the adenomyosis problem. One step at a time!

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jan. 7, 2015 at 12:36 PM
I have pre cancerous cells. But my dr is monitoring me with paps every 6 months. We aren't ready for more invasive procedures right now. I did have a biopsy to confirm.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)