Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my son won't stop putting stuff in his mouth!

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 4:29 PM
  • 44 Replies
I know it's normal for babies to put stuff in there mouths bit my son will be 7 ok the 16th and he is constantly putting things in his mouth. Things like balloons, paper, bottle caps, pencil erasers, pen caps, and he's always biting his clothes. He also had a habit of biting his nails and toe nails. I always tell him things that aren't food don't go in his mouth but he still always does it. I've noticed his tongue has something like thrush but it looks like a map... The Dr said its something called geographic tongue. I don't know what to do to get him to stop putting things in his mouth. Does anyone else have this problem? If so how do you deal with this?
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 4:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Reese2010727
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 4:36 PM
Just bumping for u...my son is 3
2under5.mom
by Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 4:38 PM
Quoting Reese2010727: Just bumping for u...my son is 3
thanks
d_k_w
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 4:40 PM

I am having a putting every damn thing in the mouth issue, but she is only 14 months. Never heard of it at that age. Bumb and hope you get an answer.

ilovemykids732
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 4:42 PM

I have a geographical toungue too, it has nothing to do with how his putting things into his mouth... Not sure how to get him to stop doing it though. Is he special needs?

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 6, 2015 at 4:43 PM

Maybe give him something that it is OK for him to put in his mouth.  Something that won't hurt him... so I am thinking an oval of heavy plastic, for example, that he can wash off every night. He can wear it around his neck and train himself to put this in his mouth when he feels the urge.  I've seen plastic shoehorns that are about the right size. or an old credit card without the magnetic strip maybe.

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 6, 2015 at 4:46 PM

Consider what the problem is with him putting things in his mouth- primarily the problem of disease and parasites, right?  Secondly the worry that he might swallow the object.

So thinking about the problem about putting something dirty in his mouth:

Maybe tell him he can put things in his mouth, but he should make sure they are clean so he won't get pin worms (you can show him pictures of pinworms and describe what they do) or germs in his mouth that make him sick (often children don't really believe in germs, so this would be a time to get him a microscope and let him look at common things through it. )  So suggest that he stop and think "is this clean" before putting it in his mouth, and you can show him how to make sure things are clean enough. At home, if he wants to put a clean spoon in his mouth... then OK.

Reasonable or not?

raczac
by Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 4:55 PM
My son is 8 adhd and chews on his clothes and pencils and pens. The dr said it was something he did to help with nervous energy like some people will over eat. He said it could be worse he could be getting in trouble at school all the time.
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:17 PM

I would keep things he can't put in his mouth out of his reach.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

a_and_j_momma
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2015 at 1:46 AM
Lol I don't know how that is possible for a 7 year old.

OP - it may be a comfort thing. When you ask him, does he just say he doesn't know? Is there something you can give Him he can use?

Quoting Mom2Just1:

I would keep things he can't put in his mouth out of his reach.

LaniBee
by on Jan. 7, 2015 at 8:58 AM

Has he always done this (since he was a baby/toddler)?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)