Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

5 year old is learing to read

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2008 at 9:11 PM
  • 6 Replies
Hello friends my name is Anika and I have a 5 year old that is learning to read.  I am just wondering if anyone has tips that can help me in helping her better because I get soooooo frustrated when it comes time to do her homework.
by on Jan. 10, 2008 at 9:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
ilovecoffee95
by on Jan. 10, 2008 at 11:12 PM
Have her sound out the word, try  making flash cards with sight words and read books with lots of repition like Brown Bear,Brown Bear,What Do You See or Dr. Seuss books,Robin
amybuddy45
by on Jan. 11, 2008 at 10:57 AM
Mine is 5 too and he is learning to read too.  We have flash cards with his sight words on them and I have them up on the wall.  We go over them just about everyday.  We also get paper books form school once a week and and he reads that to me almost every night.  They have very small words in them with pics too.  We also read Pre-level or Level 1 books too.  I let him go on starfall.com to practice reading too.  Good luck and just be patient, it is hard sometimes but it works.
smartmom24
by on Jan. 11, 2008 at 10:07 PM
I have been on starfall and I think it  is a great site.  However I know why I am no school teacher!  Thanks for you input.
25beengoodtome
by on Jan. 12, 2008 at 12:30 AM
 turn off the t.v. You need to start her off in the right frame of mind and attitude about homework. You need to make it a good thing. you have a beautiful child, sitting with you, trying to let you teach and help her. Sorry to say, but it won't be this way forever. in a few more years, she'll be busy, out visiting friends. Enjoy every second you possibly can with her.   I made the mistake of feeling agitated with my two sons and their homework. I WAS A FOOL!  they never liked homework, and neither of them graduated.  another problem with being a single parent, working 40 hrs. plus, trying to get by.
  If I can tell you  one thing and you'd really take it to heart, it would be
love every minute you have with your child/ren. They grow up and awat too soon.
sit at the kitchen table with them, you can do your homework, sorting bills, writing letters. Make it a special time. enjoy your "study buddy"! It does help.
masastan
by on Jan. 12, 2008 at 12:36 AM
My 5yr old is also learning to read, but he isn't getting it here. I mean, I read to him and his younger brother. But I have four kids and he's doing SO well in school, he knows his sight words, and if there is anything he needs to work on, we do it. Other than that, I spend most of my time right now focusing on my 5th grader's issues with school and then the fact that my 4yr old can't write his name yet, like everyone else in the class. So, my 9yr old dd and my 5yr old son are doing great without my help for now. When we do read, we focus on things they are learning like blending sounds as well as rhyming words which is what they are working on now and he needs some help there. My dd has been a tremendous help with her brother's reading skills! But she should be, she's super smart!
cmbcat
by on Feb. 24, 2008 at 10:46 AM

I recently ordered a reading kit from ..:: See Me Read ™ ::... It's a set that uses personal photos of my daughter and her familiar items and makes them into books and flashcards so she can see her own stuff next to the actual words. I've just started using it and my daughter loves looking at the words and pictures of herself and the items. Apparently the woman who started the company was able to teach her son to read at age 3 using this idea. It's not nearly as expensive as Hooked on Phonics, so I thought it worth a try. Check it out! I have a 20% coupon code too - MNY0100P.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN