Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you always leave a tip?

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:31 AM
  • 8 Replies

Went to a family style restaurant the other day,didn't leave a tip. Service was terrible.  Huge delay in her greeting us despite three other people in restaurant.  Not friendly to the point of being rude.  Took forever to get our check.

I understand that waitresses are not paid a real wage, and need tips, but if I acted at my job the way she acted, I'd get fired. Or suspended.

Do you always tip no matter how the service is?

Do you think it's rude not to tip at all?

Would you have spoken to a manager?

Would you write a bad review on an online site? (Such as Google, yelp, yellow pages, ect).

by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MamaLauri
by Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:36 AM

I usually tip fairly well, based on the service. If it is really bad I leave a penny, clearly visable. I think that says more than nothing. I generally would not talk to the manager or online.

Paigesmommy78
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:38 AM

yes i always tip i left a really bad waitresses 3 cents and a little note on why and idk if i would go to manager it takes alot for me to do that but i probably would give a bad review

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Jan. 14, 2015 at 11:26 AM

Do you always tip no matter how the service is? I have never been in a situation where I felt a tip wasn't deserved

Do you think it's rude not to tip at all? I can't say because I'm sure there are some situations where it would be understandable.

Would you have spoken to a manager? Probably not.

Would you write a bad review on an online site? (Such as Google, yelp, yellow pages, ect). Probably not.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 11:58 AM
I am 53 years old and only 2 times in my life I have not tipped. Once the server didn't come back after the food was delivered and we sat over an hour with no more drinks or anything. Finally had to ask another server to get our server. Restaurant was not busy either. Other time a million things went wrong and all our food was free. I tip for mediocre service. I worked in food service and so did my dd.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Courtney610
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 12:51 PM
Yes, yes, no, no.
a_and_j_momma
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2015 at 1:44 AM
I've always tipped but adjust it up or down for level of service
PinkGlitterBomb
by on Jan. 15, 2015 at 3:52 AM
I tip based on service, but I always tip. I think a minuscule tip makes a bigger impression than no tip.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 15, 2015 at 2:56 PM

I'd probably call the manager over, give them the tip, and ask them to split it with the cooks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)