Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

please dont judge

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:54 AM
  • 34 Replies
Ladies. I am wondering how long a person can go without eating and only have iv fluids. No feeding just plain fluid.
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ceciliam
by Cecilia on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:58 AM

Honestly, I really don't know.

Is it someone you know?

I know when my son was in the hospital with pneumonia he was getting Pediasure through a tube. Even with that, he got awfully thin.

mommieof38829
by Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 11:02 AM
Its my grandfather. He won't eat but a few bites of ice cream and he is on fluids because he was so dehydrated. But he goes back to the nursing home today. He has a no feeding tube order and do not bring back if his heart stops. He is 86 and had a stroke in august but was doing fairly well but fell in November and went down hill. The thought of him starving to death is driving me crazy. He sleeps all the time and doesn't talk anymore. Between my pregnancy hormones and this. I have been having panic attacks. I am sorry this was so long

Quoting ceciliam:

Is it someone you know?

I know when my son was in the hospital with pneumonia he was getting Pediasure through a tube. Even with that, he got awfully thin.

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Jan. 14, 2015 at 11:29 AM

Oh, that's terrible. I'm so sorry you and your family are going through this. hugs

Quoting mommieof38829: Its my grandfather. He won't eat but a few bites of ice cream and he is on fluids because he was so dehydrated. But he goes back to the nursing home today. He has a no feeding tube order and do not bring back if his heart stops. He is 86 and had a stroke in august but was doing fairly well but fell in November and went down hill. The thought of him starving to death is driving me crazy. He sleeps all the time and doesn't talk anymore. Between my pregnancy hormones and this. I have been having panic attacks. I am sorry this was so long
Quoting ceciliam:

Is it someone you know?

mommieof38829
by Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 12:02 PM
Thank you very much

Quoting ceciliam:

Oh, that's terrible. I'm so sorry you and your family are going through this. hugs

Quoting mommieof38829: Its my grandfather. He won't eat but a few bites of ice cream and he is on fluids because he was so dehydrated. But he goes back to the nursing home today. He has a no feeding tube order and do not bring back if his heart stops. He is 86 and had a stroke in august but was doing fairly well but fell in November and went down hill. The thought of him starving to death is driving me crazy. He sleeps all the time and doesn't talk anymore. Between my pregnancy hormones and this. I have been having panic attacks. I am sorry this was so long

Quoting ceciliam:

Is it someone you know?

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jan. 14, 2015 at 12:38 PM
Does he want to eat?
Courtney610
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 12:40 PM
I'm sorry. Big hugs, mama.
mommieof38829
by Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 12:40 PM
He might eat a couple bites of ice cream. But that's it

Quoting Mom2Just1: Does he want to eat?
mommieof38829
by Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 12:41 PM
Thank you very much

Quoting Courtney610: I'm sorry. Big hugs, mama.
ctownjessiejo
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 12:45 PM

I would talk to his doctor.

anotherandree
by Inga on Jan. 14, 2015 at 12:55 PM
I googled it and it can vary depending on overall health. Most things said a month or more with fluids.

I'm sorry about your grandfather. I know when my FIL was nearing his end of life, he was also very old and had many health issues, he was just ready to be done. It was hard to,watch but (and this was easier since I was still relatively new to the family) tried to keep in mind that HE was ready even though we weren't.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)