Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Mamas please come here!

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 11:10 AM
  • 27 Replies

I am seriously considering it.

Tell me everything you know. I live in NJ, and work a flexible full time job from 8:30 to 4:00.

The biggest concern I have is, my knowledge of math is like 1st grade. Is that a problem?

If you're going to criticize I'll ignore you. I am just beginning to think about this. I don't want to give details why because that'll spark a bunch of advise about something I don't want to talk about in length.

I can take off work when necessary, I can talk with my child on the phone any time while I'm working. I don't think my job would get in the way. I'm more worried my lack of academics will impede. I'm great at writing, but not at math.

Adivise, wisdom and experiences are welcome.

Thank you!

by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 11:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
veggiemom474
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 11:54 AM

BUMP!

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Jan. 14, 2015 at 12:01 PM

I'm not a homeschooling mom and one of the reasons is because I was not the best with math, once we got into algebra and things of that nature.

Keep in mind that there are homeschooling groups so maybe you could link up with someone who is strong in math.

jjchick75
by Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 12:08 PM
Swing by the homeschooling group!

Not being good in math is not a problem in my opinion. I suck at math. But my husband does the math after a certain point. They also offer math classes at our co-op. Also there are curriculums that will do it for you such as online. You need to first to find out what the laws are in your state. You can do that in the homeschooling group.

http://mobile.cafemom.com/group/114079
veggiemom474
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 12:11 PM

I know there is a way around it. I'm trying to find local groups that are not christian based.

Quoting ceciliam:

I'm not a homeschooling mom and one of the reasons is because I was not the best with math, once we got into algebra and things of that nature.

Keep in mind that there are homeschooling groups so maybe you could link up with someone who is strong in math.

veggiemom474
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 12:14 PM

I didn't know there was one!

In NJ, there are few regulations. Just notify the school and set up a curriculum.

Quoting jjchick75: Swing by the homeschooling group! Not being good in math is not a problem in my opinion. I suck at math. But my husband does the math after a certain point. They also offer math classes at our co-op. Also there are curriculums that will do it for you such as online. You need to first to find out what the laws are in your state. You can do that in the homeschooling group. http://mobile.cafemom.com/group/114079

jjchick75
by Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 12:24 PM
It's a great group!

Quoting veggiemom474:

I didn't know there was one!

In NJ, there are few regulations. Just notify the school and set up a curriculum.

Quoting jjchick75: Swing by the homeschooling group! Not being good in math is not a problem in my opinion. I suck at math. But my husband does the math after a certain point. They also offer math classes at our co-op. Also there are curriculums that will do it for you such as online. You need to first to find out what the laws are in your state. You can do that in the homeschooling group. http://mobile.cafemom.com/group/114079

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 12:30 PM

I didn't.  I observed some who did.  Both were former teachers.  Consistancy seemed key.  One was unorganized.  Her kids were doing schooling at after school activities in a loud environment.  The other lady was strict.  Kids up at 7:30am, breakfast and talking about how the day would go.  School started at 8am and then they were done with school by 12:30 every day.  Then they could go to field trip or run errands or do whatever.  Her kids were 5th and 6th grade at that time.  Her kids seem to flourish.  Of course these 2 mom's were teachers so they had the means and knew what to do. 

I like you wouldn't be able to teach math past say 5th grade.  I know there are many ways to get around this.  My dh helped my girls with math in middle and HS.  He was good at it and got A's in HS and college.  I wouldn't be able to be consistant to home school.  I am not that dedicated. 

veggiemom474
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 12:41 PM

Thank you. This gives me some perspective.

Quoting atlmom2:

I didn't.  I observed some who did.  Both were former teachers.  Consistancy seemed key.  One was unorganized.  Her kids were doing schooling at after school activities in a loud environment.  The other lady was strict.  Kids up at 7:30am, breakfast and talking about how the day would go.  School started at 8am and then they were done with school by 12:30 every day.  Then they could go to field trip or run errands or do whatever.  Her kids were 5th and 6th grade at that time.  Her kids seem to flourish.  Of course these 2 mom's were teachers so they had the means and knew what to do. 

I like you wouldn't be able to teach math past say 5th grade.  I know there are many ways to get around this.  My dh helped my girls with math in middle and HS.  He was good at it and got A's in HS and college.  I wouldn't be able to be consistant to home school.  I am not that dedicated. 

Gabbysmom615
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 1:35 PM

i dont home school but i tauhght my 6 year ld everything she needed to know and more before preschool and am doing the same with my 3 year od now

la_bella_vita
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 1:48 PM

I've considered it myself but I don't think it would be best for my children and as of right now they are thriving in regular old school, lol. 

Here is a bump for you though : ) There is also a Homeschooling mom's group

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)