Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What should I do?

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:11 PM
  • 29 Replies
So lil ones birthday is in a week. I found a cake recipe I want to make that I heard was really good & not gonna be too much of a sugar rush for little one. It's a banana & blueberry cake with cream cheese & apple juice icing, everyone who has made it says how good it is & their lo loved it. Well gma has been kind enough to give us money to help with the party, but has made the comment how lo has to have a chocolate cake with chocolate icing & I sadly don't want that.. I'm now not sure what to do because I don't want to upset her/ make her mad but I don't want him having a chocolate cake.. and I have a feeling she will make a big fuss be furious if I don't .. so far the two times she has mentioned it I bite my tongue... but not sure the best way to go about the situation..
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
illogicalkat
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:21 PM

Make both. Have the low-sugar one be your baby's smash cake, and chocolate for everyone else.

Or make chocolate cupcakes instead, maybe mini ones? Or, you could look for a lower-sugar chocolate cake...could you add cocoa powder to the recipe you have? (Unsweetened cocoa powder itself doesn't have much sugar in it.)

anotherandree
by Inga on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:30 PM

I agree with this.  The smash cake is what they will be sticking in their mouth anyway.

Honestly, if someone else was paying for it, I would be very careful about picking my battles.  IMO, eating some chocolate cake ONCE, for a special occasion, is not something I would make a fight about.  If she wanted your child to have cake EVERYTIME she saw them, that is a totally different story.  Or even a non-special occasion.  Just my thoughts and the blueberry cake sounds DE-LISH!

Where did you get the recipe??

Quoting illogicalkat:

Make both. Have the low-sugar one be your baby's smash cake, and chocolate for everyone else.

Or make chocolate cupcakes instead, maybe mini ones? Or, you could look for a lower-sugar chocolate cake...could you add cocoa powder to the recipe you have? (Unsweetened cocoa powder itself doesn't have much sugar in it.)

Courtney610
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:33 PM
I agree with all of this.

Quoting anotherandree:

I agree with this.  The smash cake is what they will be sticking in their mouth anyway.

Honestly, if someone else was paying for it, I would be very careful about picking my battles.  IMO, eating some chocolate cake ONCE, for a special occasion, is not something I would make a fight about.  If she wanted your child to have cake EVERYTIME she saw them, that is a totally different story.  Or even a non-special occasion.  Just my thoughts and the blueberry cake sounds DE-LISH!

Where did you get the recipe??

Quoting illogicalkat:

luvnbep123
by Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 3:26 PM
Found it on pinterest.

http://www.ourhavenhill.com/2012/06/05/recipe-healthy-smash-cake-for-babys-1st-birthday/

Only thing is... its a baseball themed party and I was making his smash cake into a baseball..

She wants his cake to be chocolate & chocolate because that's what his daddy had when he was little..

virginiamama71
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 3:33 PM

I would make both. 

mikesmom65270
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I would probably go with the chocolate but try to do lower sugar.  I have made "Crazy Mixed-Up Cake" which is a chocolate dump cake and used less sugar (1/2 to 3/4 cup instead of 1) and the taste is good.  Chocolate does make a more spectacular smash cake!

johnny4ever
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 5:20 PM

I would make both.

MamaLauri
by Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 5:35 PM

How about a collection of cupcakes. They are very popular right now.Then you can mix them.

MamaLauri
by Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 5:36 PM

BTW your cake recipe sounds wonderful. Would you share?

MistressMinerva
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 5:58 PM

I would make both. A little chocolate isn't going to hurt him. It's his birthday.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)