Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Starting my own business... Would you consider this?

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:46 PM
  • 10 Replies

So I am thinking about starting my own business. Here is the jist of it... 

I would be taking peoples original resumes and cover letters and sprucing them up. They would have to give me the originals, fill out a short questionnaire( interview style so I can get a more personal sense of who they are) and if they chose to a couple of personal reference phone numbers(friends and/or family) so I can call and get a since of what others people think their better qualities are. I would then redo their resume and cover letter to make them more appealing to potential employers. The fee would be reasonable as these are people who are unemployed and looking for work. 

So here is my question... Would this be a service that you or someone you know might consider using? Any thoughts or constructive critisms on this would be greatly appreciated. Any unreasonable negativity will of course be ignored. Thank you so much!

by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lunarprancer
by Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:47 PM

*sense

How much would you charge?

anotherandree
by Inga on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree, how much?  And what makes you qualified?  

I know that both my husband and I can get something similar, for free, from the universities where we graduated.  However, in today's job market, that might be something people need a 2nd (and 3rd) opinion about.

illneverbeold
by Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:58 PM

You may want to consider getting a contract with your local unemployment and welfare office. It is a very common service, but I don't think it is common practice to call one's references. I have done this for several friends and family members, generally it just takes about an hour long meeting of taking notes and a filled out application for employment and/or a current resume'. Then you re-vamp.

JillAnne82
by Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 3:06 PM

I wouldn't be charging much. Maybe $15. I have been a supervisor and manager in previous jobs so I know a lot of the qualities that employers look for in an employee. I have been the person sitting in the chair interviewing potential employees. So I feel like my past experience as a supervisor and a manager could help some people out. I feel like I should also say this would not be my main source of income. I do have a job and my husband also makes decent money so this is just a way for me to make a little extra money and help other people out when they are looking for a job.

Quoting anotherandree:

I agree, how much?  And what makes you qualified?  

I know that both my husband and I can get something similar, for free, from the universities where we graduated.  However, in today's job market, that might be something people need a 2nd (and 3rd) opinion about.

mom2bahandcch
by Queen of the World on Jan. 14, 2015 at 3:09 PM
Well, I wouldn't based on your original post. The spelling errors are no good.
JillAnne82
by Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 3:13 PM

I was thinking about going and talking with our local offices. As far as I know they do not offer any services like this. I feel like there are so many unemployed people looking for jobs that a service like this could be very beneficial to them. I have a job but I know how it is to be out there looking. It can be frustrating and make you feel like there is no hope. My mother in law was laid off of her job of 19 years with no severance pay. She had to go on unemployment for almost a year and was consistently looking for work. I did this for her and after I did she got more interviews and was hired at a new job within a month of me revamping her resume and cover letter. She didn't even know how to write a cover letter because it had been so long since she had to find employment. I am thinking about maybe even just giving it a trial run and doing it for free at my church and see how well it goes for people.

Quoting illneverbeold:

You may want to consider getting a contract with your local unemployment and welfare office. It is a very common service, but I don't think it is common practice to call one's references. I have done this for several friends and family members, generally it just takes about an hour long meeting of taking notes and a filled out application for employment and/or a current resume'. Then you re-vamp.

illneverbeold
by Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 4:15 PM

It is generally not something a very poor person would seek out. Resume and cover letter writing can get pretty expensive. A simple resume' can cost a good $200 plus you have to go get copies made. They do offer services, you just have to look in the right places. A vocational rehabilitation program perhaps? They could hire you as a contractor, so you will work per job. Mnay of the people you work for are in the program because of disabilities and low income.

Quoting JillAnne82:

I was thinking about going and talking with our local offices. As far as I know they do not offer any services like this. I feel like there are so many unemployed people looking for jobs that a service like this could be very beneficial to them. I have a job but I know how it is to be out there looking. It can be frustrating and make you feel like there is no hope. My mother in law was laid off of her job of 19 years with no severance pay. She had to go on unemployment for almost a year and was consistently looking for work. I did this for her and after I did she got more interviews and was hired at a new job within a month of me revamping her resume and cover letter. She didn't even know how to write a cover letter because it had been so long since she had to find employment. I am thinking about maybe even just giving it a trial run and doing it for free at my church and see how well it goes for people.

Quoting illneverbeold:

Courtney610
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 4:56 PM
Personally, no. I have friends in HR, that do it for me.
Aqua_Jen
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 5:54 PM
We wouldn't pay for that because we have people to do that for us if needed. If you got a contract with the unemployment office or even had workshops at a local library i can see people maybe taking advantage of it. How would you market yourself?
a_and_j_momma
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2015 at 1:39 AM
I wouldn't bc I can get it for free
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)