Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Phone calls... please help!

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 4:21 PM
  • 36 Replies

I get really bad anxiety when I have to make phone calls to people I don't know. Every time I have to make an appointment for one of my kids or myself, even thinking about calling gives me anxiety. My heart beats super fast, my chest starts to hurt, and I get a stomach ache. That's just from thinking about calling! I usually make my husband call, but he is getting tired of doing it all the time because he is at school and work all day. I understand and I know I should do it since I'm at home. Once I do call, all those things happen in addition to my face getting red hot and I stutter. Does anyone have any advice on how I can get over this????

by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 4:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ceciliam
by Cecilia on Jan. 14, 2015 at 4:37 PM
5 moms liked this

Write down a script of what you want to say/ask. Also, the more you do it the easier it will get.

ctownjessiejo
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 4:41 PM

That's a good idea! Thanks. At least that way I won't forget anything I need to ask about even if I do stutter and sound like a crazy person.

Quoting ceciliam:

Write down a script of what you want to say/ask. Also, the more you do it the easier it will get.

anotherandree
by Inga on Jan. 14, 2015 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this

This!  I hate making a greeting for my voicemail (home or work), and always mess it up so badly, so I started making out a script!  Also, when I had to call parents and such for work (therapist), I would go SO nervous.  However, the more I did it, the more it became not a big deal.

Quoting ceciliam:

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Jan. 14, 2015 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this
That is a great idea. That way you can practice before you call too.
Quoting ceciliam:

MamaLauri
by Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 5:33 PM

Do you know why calling does this to you?

How  do you do with email or texting?

If your husband was aware of this before you married, he really should not have an issue. Do something special for him to say thank you.

ctownjessiejo
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 5:52 PM

I really have no idea why. I wish I did because then it might be easier to overcome.

I do fine emailing and texting because I don't actually have to talk to anyone.

He doesn't really have an issue. It's just that he goes to school from 7:30am to 1:45pm, then goes straight to work and gets home at 6:30pm. He only has Sundays off. So he does make the calls on his lunch when he has to. I just feel like I need to get over it and it's weird for my husband to make my appointments for me since I am an adult. I should be able to do these things.

Quoting MamaLauri:

Do you know why calling does this to you?

How  do you do with email or texting?

If your husband was aware of this before you married, he really should not have an issue. Do something special for him to say thank you.

Courtney610
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 6:40 PM

Do you have the same issue when speaking face to face with someone?

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jan. 14, 2015 at 9:13 PM

Great idea!

Quoting ceciliam:

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

beadingmom17
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 9:21 PM
I get the same way. I don't even know why because once I'm on the phone, I'm fine, but the thought of ordering food on the phone or calling for appointments makes my anxiety rise!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
a_and_j_momma
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2015 at 1:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Great idea

Quoting ceciliam:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)