Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dog problem

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 1:12 PM
  • 23 Replies

We have an almost year old puppy, he is driving me crazy!!! I got him for Mother's Day last year, I wanted him.  He was super sweet but recently he has been a complete pain in the ass.  He barks all the time unless we have a bark collar on him and with that on he whines cause he knows he'll get zapped if he barks.  He will go outside every morning and pee then he comes in and poops on the floor, within 10 mins of coming back in.  He hides when he does it.  He doesn't destroy anything he just pees and poops everywhere even after he's been out for a long time.  Just a few mins ago I let him out he was out for 20-30 mins comes back in, lifts his leg and sprays my curtains like a male cat.  I had just hung them back up from being washed, now I have to rehash them.  If anything is left on the floor cost, backpack a piece of paper he will pee on it.  I'm at my wits end idk what to do with him.  I'm ready to get rid of him cause I'm sick of mopping and cleaning up pee.  He is fixed cause he had a problem with excited peeing and it is better but now he just ramdomly pees on things.  Uggg any advice will be appreciated.  I feel like I have a 4th child.  We also have 2 other dogs that don't make messes in the house unless they get sick and don't get outside in time.  Help or he's finding a new home,,,

by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 1:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kajira
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 1:26 PM

If you can't watch him, use a crate. Go outside with him and when he goes potty, reward him - this will tell him where you WANT him to go and reinforce it, give him a treat.

I potty trained an 18 month old rottweiler in 2 days using this method. It was time consuming, I had to walk him for 15 minutes every 2-3 hours, but he got it in 2 days and never intentionally had another accident after that.

Some dogs, depending on size, (little dogs are horrible about this) just don't care. I had a rat terrier that KNEW I hated if he went in the house, so if I took my eyes off him for a minute, would go poop behind a chair or on the welcome mat and would pee on chair legs. Drove me nuts.

He knew I didn't like it, he knew it wasn't what he was supposed to do - but if it was raining, he didn't want to go outside because he didn't like the rain. We had to crate him in the house when we couldn't watch him and during bad weather, in order to ensure he went outside where it belonged.

Sadly, some dogs, just require 24/7 eyes in order to be accident free. Some dogs are this much work. 

rosboro5
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 1:30 PM

He will do fine some days then others it is like F you I'm going to pee right here.  Sometimes he will do it in front of you......frustrating. I'm ready to give him to someone even though he is my dog, but my kids would be heartbroken.  He causes a lot of stress in our house!!!! If I could find someone who I knew would take really good care of him he'd be gone even though he's a member of the family.

a_and_j_momma
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2015 at 1:29 AM
Has he been through obedience training?
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jan. 21, 2015 at 5:27 AM
Obedience training might work.
rosboro5
by on Jan. 21, 2015 at 7:21 AM
We live in a small town and idk where to get obedience training at. There was this guy everyone mentioned on Facebook I contacted him 2 weeks ago and I've heard nothing. I'll ask around and see if anyone knows anywhere.
Wish2Be
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2015 at 8:11 AM

This is common for pups .... at a year old they should be done with it though. Can you afford a dog trainor? Maybe look online for some tips on how to handle this situation. Do you have a yard?

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2015 at 8:32 AM
Crate train and also do a dog obedience class. I crate trained my dog and she is still crated whenever we are gone it at night. She will be 6 soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gabbysmom615
by on Jan. 21, 2015 at 8:34 AM

ive had a lot of experience with dogs, you might want to check into petcos animal training they are very good

AbbeysMom2013
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2015 at 9:31 AM
Have you looked in taking him to a trainer or obedience school?
Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2015 at 10:00 AM

Crate training will probably work.  When we had our dog, he passed away recently, he did the same thing at the same age and we crate trained him.  It stopped the bad behavior so hopefully it will work for you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)