Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Big decision to make...

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 1:54 PM
  • 26 Replies
I've been working at Sears for about 5 months. My local store so very small and I've come to know and love nearly everyone I work with. It pays minimum wage ($7.25 in my area) so it barely pays the bills but I do enjoy working there. I've become a person who can be relied and trusted on there and have recently switched positions. However, I know that the chances of a raise are highly unlikely as I know people who have been there for years and who still make minimum wage.

A coworker recently told me about a housekeeping job that pays double the money. She was officially hired there today and it's really got me thinking hard.

My dilemma is that I really want to stay at Sears, at least for now, but I also really want to apply for this job. I would be happy to do both (housekeeping in the morning, Sears in the evening) but I know that it would take up an awful lot of my time. I have 2 boys at home, ages 4 years and 9 months. Both of these jobs are over 30 hours a week and just with the one, I already feel like I'm missing out on too much. Part of me feels like I need to do this to make their future more secure, but I also feel like they'll be missing out on our family time. My fiance is the stay at home dad and my mom is currently unemployed and loves every opportunity she has to babysit so it's not like they'd be stuck in daycare for 20 hours a day, but I know they'll miss me as much as I'll miss them.

What would you do?
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 1:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emmy526
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 2:18 PM

Keep what you have now, and look for other part time employment to work around your now schedule...suppose you get cut back at sears and the other job doesn't work for you?  Or, maybe online classes would be a way to further your education/career...depends what you plan on doing with your life. 

anotherandree
by Inga on Jan. 20, 2015 at 2:22 PM
If you are the only one in the family working, I would switch.
splatz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 2:41 PM

Could you cut back your hours at Sears? I think I would go for the higher paying job if you are the bread winner. Or at least try it to see if this is something that would work for you. 

virginiamama71
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 2:55 PM

Since you are the main provider for the family I would take the job that pays more and have Sears as a side job in the evenings and/or weekends. 

nuts4scouts
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 3:09 PM

This -  If you get health benefits from both jobs, take the higher paying job full time, and switch to part time at Sears.

Why is your husband a stay at home dad? Is he between jobs, or was it a family decision to go that route?

Quoting anotherandree: If you are the only one in the family working, I would switch.
mutedsapphire
by Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 3:22 PM
I've had a hard time deciding on a career. I tried the college route once and it turned out to be the wrong path for me. My dream is to be a writer so until I can finish my novel (if it takes me anywhere), Im not really looking for a career.

Quoting emmy526:

Keep what you have now, and look for other part time employment to work around your now schedule...suppose you get cut back at sears and the other job doesn't work for you?  Or, maybe online classes would be a way to further your education/career...depends what you plan on doing with your life. 

mutedsapphire
by Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 3:25 PM
If I took another job, i would absolutely have to cut back at Sears. Right now I'm working 38 hours and I'd have to cut back to at least 25. Luckily Sears is flexible. I practically pick my hours already.

Quoting splatz:

Could you cut back your hours at Sears? I think I would go for the higher paying job if you are the bread winner. Or at least try it to see if this is something that would work for you. 

SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 3:27 PM
So, what is SO's career path? Is he in school right now, or... ?

Quoting mutedsapphire: I've had a hard time deciding on a career. I tried the college route once and it turned out to be the wrong path for me. My dream is to be a writer so until I can finish my novel (if it takes me anywhere), Im not really looking for a career.

Quoting emmy526:

delanna6two
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 3:27 PM

Hope things will work out for you....

mutedsapphire
by Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 3:48 PM
I don't get benefits at Sears but I would at the other job.

My fiance is disabled. He does a paper route in the middle of the night for an extra $500 a month. He could work if he could find someone willing to hire him, but we decided on me working for now.

Quoting nuts4scouts:

This -  If you get health benefits from both jobs, take the higher paying job full time, and switch to part time at Sears.

Why is your husband a stay at home dad? Is he between jobs, or was it a family decision to go that route?

Quoting anotherandree: If you are the only one in the family working, I would switch.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)