Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did you do rice cereal or straight to purees?

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 6:04 PM
  • 36 Replies
My sister has me all paranoid that my ped is crazy for telling me to just skip the cereal and go to the pureed foods. Then I talked to the daycare teachers, there's four August babies including mine, they're all eating cereal. Should I just go get a container and join the masses?

For what it's worth, my ped also has a master's degree in nutrition.
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 6:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xtwistedxlovex
by Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 6:06 PM

Skip it. It's fortified paste; if you're that concerned with vitamins, just give a vitamin supplement.

We started with rice cereal and DS didn't pass a bm for a WEEK. Poor thing. He's had bowel issues ever since and I can't help but wonder if it's related to that.

MrBaldie
by Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 6:07 PM
Oh my gosh!! Poor baby!!!

Quoting xtwistedxlovex:

Skip it. It's fortified paste; if you're that concerned with vitamins, just give a vitamin supplement.

We started with rice cereal and DS didn't pass a bm for a WEEK. Poor thing. He's had bowel issues ever since and I can't help but wonder if it's related to that.

DakotaHaley
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 6:07 PM

I used the cereal too, but things change so much I am not sure.

MrBaldie
by Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 6:08 PM
Don't get me wrong, it's not like there's this huge anti-cereal movement lol, he just said out wasn't necessary.

Quoting DakotaHaley:

I used the cereal too, but things change so much I am not sure.

illogicalkat
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 7:01 PM
2 moms liked this

We never bothered with it. The only baby cereal my son had was oatmeal, and even that was after he'd started eating veggies.

Trust your pediatrician, she's the one with an advanced degree in nutrition. Your child's daycare teachers just feed the babies what the parents send.

10isenough
by on Jan. 21, 2015 at 2:29 AM

We didn't do either. We went straight to table foods at about 8 months old.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jan. 21, 2015 at 5:13 AM
1 mom liked this
We skip cereal and baby food. We just offer table food after 6 months. My second was 9 months before br started solids. Cereal is processed food for babies. Look into baby led solids.
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jan. 21, 2015 at 5:14 AM
Honestly, who cares what other babies do?
Wish2Be
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2015 at 8:10 AM

I made my cereal very liquidy when I did it..... but its really up to you...do you think she is ready?

Mrs_Boho
by Member on Jan. 21, 2015 at 8:13 AM
I made my own, its pretty some. But dd had weight issues and it was needed.
My oldest was on it at a few weeks old, mind you that was 13 yrs ago. My middle dd never had it all, just right to table foods, no puree stuff at all. My youngest never did puree either, just the homemade rice cereal at 2 months then table foods at 4 months.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)