Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Building self esteem in young girls

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 8:55 PM
  • 28 Replies
I'm having trouble with my daughter's confidence. I asked her at dinner tonight to tell me five things she loved about herself. She couldn't think of anything. I asked her to tell me one thing she loves about her body and she said there wasn't anything.

She's only 8 and I fought back the tears till after we were finished eating.

What are some things I can do? Good books that people suggest around 3rd-5th grade level?
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 8:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KimmyShaw
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 8:57 PM
Oh that is sad :(
My DD is 7 and she did karate for a couple years, I think that had a big impact on her.
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 9:02 PM
What issues does she have with herself? Maybe she needs counseling.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Jan. 31, 2015 at 9:03 PM
I only have boys so I know it is different bit since we got them in basketball and Cubscouts they have gained a lot of confidence. Does she belong to any groups?
mamavalor
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 9:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Some kids aren't very good with open-ended questions.  And the questions you gave can appear to be very abstract for someone who is 8-years-old.  Reflection is a very tough skill to have and master.  It would mean to see youself in an objective way.  Not many adults can self-reflect honestly.

Help your daughter by pointing out the good in her.  She doesn't need to be a superstar in anything to be confident.  She just need to be comfortable in her own skin.

an0nym0us_m0m
by New Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 9:31 PM
2 moms liked this
She has a kids gaming group on Sundays where they play Pokemon the card game and other board games together. It's a small group and she really likes it.

She also started ballet and jazz class. They have a third day that is a conditioning class that she goes to as well. Her first recital is February 28th.

Quoting countrygirlkat: I only have boys so I know it is different bit since we got them in basketball and Cubscouts they have gained a lot of confidence. Does she belong to any groups?
an0nym0us_m0m
by New Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this
I recognized that and so I have her five things I loved about her and five things I loved about myself. Then I said it was her turn. She was able to easily list five things she loved about me but she only listed things she like, such as "I like milk, I like video games" when she started listing things for herself. I helped turn things she listed as interests into positive things about herself such as, "so you love that your good at video games?" and that helped.

Quoting mamavalor:

Some kids aren't very good with open-ended questions.  And the questions you gave can appear to be very abstract for someone who is 8-years-old.  Reflection is a very tough skill to have and master.  It would mean to see youself in an objective way.  Not many adults can self-reflect honestly.

Help your daughter by pointing out the good in her.  She doesn't need to be a superstar in anything to be confident.  She just need to be comfortable in her own skin.

an0nym0us_m0m
by New Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 9:40 PM
She's an only child and there's a neighborhood bully causing her problems and get best friend just moved to another state. She also gained some weight this year and she had been getting picked on for being fat.

Quoting atlmom2: What issues does she have with herself? Maybe she needs counseling.
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 9:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Probably some counseling would be good.

Quoting an0nym0us_m0m: She's an only child and there's a neighborhood bully causing her problems and get best friend just moved to another state. She also gained some weight this year and she had been getting picked on for being fat.

Quoting atlmom2: What issues does she have with herself? Maybe she needs counseling.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2015 at 9:33 AM
Is she in.any sports or activities such as girl scouts, youth group, gymnastics, etc?
Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2015 at 9:43 AM

Karate is a good one for girls!

Quoting KimmyShaw: Oh that is sad :( My DD is 7 and she did karate for a couple years, I think that had a big impact on her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)