Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fun Birthday Party

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 10:12 PM
  • 44 Replies
1 mom liked this

My middle son just turned 8.  We told him he could have a party at home with multiple friends or invite just one friend and have him sleep over and then go somewhere fun.  He chose the second option so last night we had the friend sleep over and today we went to a place called Mr. Gattis about 2 hours from us.  It is kind of like a Chuck E Cheese idea but it has a good pizza and pasta buffet and a lot more game options including bumper cars and things like that.  It was so much fun!  It cost us about $135 for our three kids, the friend and DH and I and then the cost of fuel so not terrible but a bit pricey.  There were like 5 other birthday parties there though and they all had rented a room and had tons of people attending them.  I have no idea how they afforded that, because we couldn't, lol.  How much do you usually spend on birthday parties?

by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 10:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 1, 2015 at 9:53 PM

What a fun time for your son!

I'd say $135 is about what we spend.

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Feb. 1, 2015 at 9:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Ours have varied depending on what we do but that is about the max we ever spend. 

Quoting Bmat:

What a fun time for your son!

I'd say $135 is about what we spend.

ambcortez
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2015 at 12:40 PM
Maybe $50. I make the cake, we order a few pizzas, provide drinks, and that's it. My Ds and dd have a shared party.
saysmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2015 at 1:53 PM

I spend way too much! I would say the cheapest party I have had would be my last one for my 9 year old at the bowling alley and it was around $300 with the rental, cake, snacks, decorations and goody bags! it is their one special day a year so I like to make it big! And I love the party planning and decorating! My oldest is 9 so I know before long she will probably want a sleepover! And that's fine with one girl but she has a ton of friends that she would want to invite and there is a crowd when it comes to girls, dread it!!! LOL!!!! Would much rather spend the money and have it somewhere else!!!! 

virginiamama71
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2015 at 2:10 PM

I don't spend alot for birthday celebrations. It's always been family get together than when he turned 10 he invited one friend to do something together. this is what I will continue if he still wants to celebrate his birthday. 

AJsMom81507
by Member on Feb. 2, 2015 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this

glad your DS had fun.  I spend way too much on birthday parties.

one year i spent close to $1500 on a party for my kids (it was a joint party)

on average I spend about $300-$400 for birthday parties per kid

their first birthday parties each cost close to $4k a piece.

this year my DD wants an American Girl Birthday Party.  that will cost a fortune... 

Bus Rental for the trip into NYC, $38 each girl $28 for 1 parent to go.  she wants about 10 girls to go.  But they are only little once

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Feb. 2, 2015 at 11:06 PM

That is what we have done most of the time where we do it at home.  I always make our own cakes as well.  Are your two twins?

Quoting ambcortez: Maybe $50. I make the cake, we order a few pizzas, provide drinks, and that's it. My Ds and dd have a shared party.

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Feb. 2, 2015 at 11:14 PM

Bowling sounds like fun.  I only have boys but even with my three and the one that spent the night it was a lot so I can't imagine a huge bunch of girls for a sleepover, lol. 

Quoting saysmom:

I spend way too much! I would say the cheapest party I have had would be my last one for my 9 year old at the bowling alley and it was around $300 with the rental, cake, snacks, decorations and goody bags! it is their one special day a year so I like to make it big! And I love the party planning and decorating! My oldest is 9 so I know before long she will probably want a sleepover! And that's fine with one girl but she has a ton of friends that she would want to invite and there is a crowd when it comes to girls, dread it!!! LOL!!!! Would much rather spend the money and have it somewhere else!!!! 

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Feb. 2, 2015 at 11:24 PM

I wish we lived closer to family so they could attend the parties but they try to come when they can. 

Quoting virginiamama71:

I don't spend alot for birthday celebrations. It's always been family get together than when he turned 10 he invited one friend to do something together. this is what I will continue if he still wants to celebrate his birthday. 

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Feb. 2, 2015 at 11:28 PM

The American Girl party sounds fun.  When is her birthday?

Quoting AJsMom81507:

glad your DS had fun.  I spend way too much on birthday parties.

one year i spent close to $1500 on a party for my kids (it was a joint party)

on average I spend about $300-$400 for birthday parties per kid

their first birthday parties each cost close to $4k a piece.

this year my DD wants an American Girl Birthday Party.  that will cost a fortune... 

Bus Rental for the trip into NYC, $38 each girl $28 for 1 parent to go.  she wants about 10 girls to go.  But they are only little once

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)