Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

How do I get my baby to sleep in her own bed?

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2008 at 5:57 PM
  • 11 Replies
My daughter is 8 weeks old and has been sleeping with us since we brought her home from the hospital a week after we had her. Now were having a problem weening her from our bed. We bought a Miracle Blanket and I've tried putting her in her bassinette during her nap times. Any other advice?
by on Jan. 11, 2008 at 5:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nikki_21_2
by on Jan. 11, 2008 at 9:26 PM
My mother had this problem with me and the only way to break it is going to break your heart. You have to put her in her bed and let her scream. I know it sounds so mean but after a couple of nights it will get easier. If there is some thing of yours or your husbands that she really like and is safe give it to her. Good luck

Nikki
GonnaBananas
by on Jan. 11, 2008 at 9:34 PM
We had that problem with our youngest Wes, so we just started slowly getting him used to his own bed.  When we went to bed he was with us , but before we would sleep I would put him n the bassinet. Till he got used to it , then we would put him in his crib in the other room.   Which was good for us but not for his brother..  LOL
MsHernandez
by on Jan. 11, 2008 at 10:02 PM
I'm having the same problem. My baby is 3 months old. When he was about 1 month he got sick. So he started sleeping with us on our bed he has just gotten over his sickness about 2 weeks ago. And now I dont know how they know but they know. During the day he sleeps in his bed but at night he wakes up everytime I put him in his bed to sleep. As soon as I put him back in my bed he goes straight to sleep. So I feel you the bed is cramped I sleep in the middle I can't move. I want to get him used to his bed but I feel sorry for him when he starts crying. They stay so samll for a such a short time, then they get old enough were they dont even want you next to them. So I rather treasure this moments as long as I can. Hope this helps....
Mommy2_two
by on Jan. 11, 2008 at 10:09 PM
In my opinion 6 weeks is a little young to let her scream in her own bed.
Does she nap in her bassinette ok?  With my 2nd DD she went from the cradle to a pack and play w/ a bassinette in my room. Once she got to 3 months old we moved her to her crib in her own room.  I bought a little musical thing that attaches to the side of the crib. It played music, had moving birds in it and it also projected little bird on the ceiling. Turned that on patted her for a few minutes and she was fine. 
RMcLovin
by on Jan. 11, 2008 at 10:10 PM
We had this problem with our son. I can't stand to hear him cry for even a second. Everyone told me we'd just have to put him in his bed and let him cry. There is no way I could do it. I started during the day when he took naps. When he fell asleep for his naps I would put him in his crib. To my suprise he would do just fine during the day taking his naps in his crib but at night he hated it! So this makes for a couple long sleepless nights for you but it worked for us. At night when he fell asleep we put him in his crib it lasted a few minutes and he was up crying so we picked him up again until he got drowsy again and we put him back in the crib. We did it over and over until finally he just got used to it. He loves to sleep in his crib and he sleeps through the night now, AND he puts himself to sleep. We can put him in his crib at night when he gets really drowsy and he'll go to sleep on his own! It worked for us.  I hope you find something that works! Good luck!
soldierswife_03
by on Jan. 12, 2008 at 12:53 PM

Quoting RMcLovin:

We had this problem with our son. I can't stand to hear him cry for even a second. Everyone told me we'd just have to put him in his bed and let him cry. There is no way I could do it. I started during the day when he took naps. When he fell asleep for his naps I would put him in his crib. To my suprise he would do just fine during the day taking his naps in his crib but at night he hated it! So this makes for a couple long sleepless nights for you but it worked for us. At night when he fell asleep we put him in his crib it lasted a few minutes and he was up crying so we picked him up again until he got drowsy again and we put him back in the crib. We did it over and over until finally he just got used to it. He loves to sleep in his crib and he sleeps through the night now, AND he puts himself to sleep. We can put him in his crib at night when he gets really drowsy and he'll go to sleep on his own! It worked for us.  I hope you find something that works! Good luck
I am definitally going to try this. Thank you soooo much! I will have to let you know if it works!
oketownmom
by on Jan. 12, 2008 at 1:32 PM
I dont have much advice but to do it soon my little boy is 5 and still in my bed !!!
Oketownmom
Oketownmom

threesharelove
by on Jan. 12, 2008 at 4:06 PM
I had to learn to let my daughter cry herself yo sleep until she knew she had to sleep in her own bed. As much as I hated hearing her cry, it worked.
GOODGIRL69
by on Jan. 12, 2008 at 4:13 PM
try puttin ur baby in the bed atfer she is sleep with something next to her that is the same as ur body heat...........
loulou332
by on Jan. 12, 2008 at 6:35 PM
what ever you do , do not hesitate that is the mistake we made with our daughter , she is 16mnths and slept in our bed untill a few months ago , she now wont settle in her cot , we have had to put her cot in our room so that she can see us , and even then she doesnt sleep all night she will wake up crying and i have to get up and pat her back to sleep i dont pick her up though . you should put her down when she is half awake and half asleep so she regonises that she is going to sleep on her own , its going to be tough  at first but it will only last a few nights , play a musical mobile so she regonises when the music plays its sleep time . good luck
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)