Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP! DD ear lobe infected

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 12:13 AM
  • 25 Replies

So today while cleaning DDs ears, i noticed there was "crust" on her earring. So i took it off. and when i did, i saw that it was infected!! It was a bit swollen, and when i put a little pressure on it, some puss and a bit of blood came out. I cleaned it right away with perioxide and then some neosporin. I think cleaned it  2 mores times today with rubbing alcohol and neosporin. The last time I cleaned it, it looks as if the "scab" or whatever it is was coming off but behind it looked like raw skin or like it might make a hole!! It doesn't bother her at all, which I find very weird. But any tips for it to heal quicker?

by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 12:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommaBear94
by Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 12:16 AM

BUMP!

JjcH0911
by Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 12:19 AM
I would use peroxide, not alcohol. :/ hope it gets better soon! This happens to be a big fear of mine.... My dh has been bugging me to get our 11 month olds ears pierced, since I had mine done as a very small infant. Any who, I caved, and we got them done yesterday, I instantly felt like I made a mistake! I have such troubles with my earrings, I can't wear anything cheap, and even certain expensive earrings can irritate my ears :/
MommaBear94
by Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 12:20 AM

Ok, thanks! She never has problems with earings. We got them done when he was 4 months old and shes now 4! I think I had put the backing on too tight. I feel so bad :(

Quoting JjcH0911: I would use peroxide, not alcohol. :/ hope it gets better soon! This happens to be a big fear of mine.... My dh has been bugging me to get our 11 month olds ears pierced, since I had mine done as a very small infant. Any who, I caved, and we got them done yesterday, I instantly felt like I made a mistake! I have such troubles with my earrings, I can't wear anything cheap, and even certain expensive earrings can irritate my ears :/

MommaBear94
by Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 12:24 AM

BUMP!

polkaspots
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 1:44 AM
Keep the earrings in. You can take them out to clean it, but I know mine hurt to go back in when they're infected. Clean with peroxide or bactine twice a day as well as washing with soap and water in the shower. If there's enough out to squeeze it out you can do it around the earring or take them out. You can also put coconut oil or neosporin on the earring itself before you put it back in to promote good healing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
copperswifey
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 10:02 PM

I agree! :) 

Quoting JjcH0911: I would use peroxide, not alcohol. :/ hope it gets better soon! This happens to be a big fear of mine.... My dh has been bugging me to get our 11 month olds ears pierced, since I had mine done as a very small infant. Any who, I caved, and we got them done yesterday, I instantly felt like I made a mistake! I have such troubles with my earrings, I can't wear anything cheap, and even certain expensive earrings can irritate my ears :/

timon95
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 10:32 PM

i would just keep cleaning it. the same happened to dd and now she is fine. I just cleaning it and twisting her earrings.

Jukebox_Jenny
by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 12:32 PM
I would use salt water, not peroxide or alcohol or whatever. It's the best thing to clean and help speed healing.
Pukalani79
by Ivy on Mar. 16, 2015 at 12:36 PM
I don't have experience with that, but I was thinking you could call the pediatrician's nurse and ask for suggestions. One thing we do, and it has worked so Dar, is that every time the girls change their earrings, they put a triple antibiotic ointment on the posts before putting them in their ears. Might be worth trying once the infection is cleared
egyptian_mommy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 8:13 PM
Cleaning it a few times a day and using neosporin should help. But keep an eye on it and if it gets worse call her dr. Unfortunately I've been through this with my daughter. She can only wear real gold, anything else she has a reaction to and it gets infected.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)