Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you buy from bake sales?

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 10:38 AM
  • 25 Replies

I have always enjoyed buying from bake sales-  the money goes to a good cause, I don't have to bake, and I get to try someone else's cooking.

But a friend says no way- that she has no idea what the conditions are in the people's kitchens, or if they have a cold and sneezed on the food, etc.

So now I don't know?

by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
10isenough2
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this
Not usually. I will if I know who did the baking and what the ingredients are. I am pretty picky when it comes to food, especially for my dd8. She can't have eggs or cows milk so that limits us on what she can have.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on Mar. 15, 2015 at 10:59 AM

Yes for sure! *nodding* You would never know otherwise if the person used an egg wash, for example, or added a bit of milk. I've seen notes on some baked goods about contains nuts, but nothing about dairy or egg free.

Quoting 10isenough2: Not usually. I will if I know who did the baking and what the ingredients are. I am pretty picky when it comes to food, especially for my dd8. She can't have eggs or cows milk so that limits us on what she can have.

MamaLauri
by Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I tend to not buy homemade food unless I know the families.

ejkdmom
by Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 11:29 AM
1 mom liked this
Eh, I usually buy something. No allergies to worry about. Other than that I try not to over think it.

You can always just donate a buck or two.
illogicalkat
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I always do.

When I was in the Navy, bake sale fundraisers were pretty common (the base's scout troops, various associations, ship homecomings, etc), and there were pretty strict rules about food prep. Prior to participating, everyone who planned to bake had to take a 30 minute food-handling class.

For schools and such, I operate under the theory that no parent would intentionally harm their child or child's friends with their food, and would take the same precautions that I would.

In short, I trust people to be responsible. It's a lot easier than living in fear.

Bmat
by Barb on Mar. 15, 2015 at 12:31 PM

This has always been my philosophy until my friend pointed out her worries.

It never occurred to me that someone wouldn't have reasonable cleanliness procedures.

Quoting illogicalkat:

I always do.

When I was in the Navy, bake sale fundraisers were pretty common (the base's scout troops, various associations, ship homecomings, etc), and there were pretty strict rules about food prep. Prior to participating, everyone who planned to bake had to take a 30 minute food-handling class.

For schools and such, I operate under the theory that no parent would intentionally harm their child or child's friends with their food, and would take the same precautions that I would.

In short, I trust people to be responsible. It's a lot easier than living in fear.

illogicalkat
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 1:16 PM
1 mom liked this

To me, it's not a worry worth having.

I'm more likely to get food poisoning from a restaurant.

Quoting Bmat:

This has always been my philosophy until my friend pointed out her worries.

It never occurred to me that someone wouldn't have reasonable cleanliness procedures.

Quoting illogicalkat:

I always do.

YuppyMom
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Nah. I have my own baking business.
Courtney610
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this
I can't remember the last time I attended a bake sale. We don't do them at school.
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL, of course.  Does your friend go out to eat?  Same difference.  I agree with the person that said that you are more likely to be sick or get food poisoning from something from a restaurant.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)