Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice Needed: My family and I just moved into a new home...

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 6:32 PM
  • 29 Replies

Poll

Question: Is working Part-time worth the financial sacrifice in order to spend more quality time with your kids??

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 9

View Results

My family and I just moved into a new
home. My husband and I have two
kids one 8 the other 11 months. I feel
stretched thin with the two kids and
working full-time (6-6 M-F!) but we
cannot afford the new house if I work
part-time or stay home! Please help!
Any suggestions would be much
appreciated!
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 6:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ambermario4ever
by Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 6:36 PM

I have always been a stay at home mom. And to me the struggling we have gone through has been totally worth it to be home with my children. I am now starting to work from home though to bring in a little extra money for fun things and to save or pay off bills early with. We have always found a way to make living on one income work. All bills are covered with hubbies income. But some months are tight due to less overtime hours. 

ejkdmom
by Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 6:38 PM
There is so much to consider I can't answer. Did you buy the house or are you in a lease? Will you not working dramatically change your lifestyle?
shorty00207450
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 6:51 PM

if you cant afford it then i wouldnt. I work full time and would love to be home more but thats im lucky i have my weekends with the kids. I would just take advantage of the weekends you have. 

amomnedtrish
by Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 6:59 PM
We bought our home. Working part-time would change our lifestyle. I would be making less than half of what I'm making today and that would be a big hit. But I have had major mommy guilt for the past year now! I didn't have mommy guilt when I had just one child but adding a baby plus possibly one more in the future has taken a toll on me. I use to be very career driven and now all I can think about are my children!
This is hard because if I put 20 more years in my company I can retire comfortably! And I know 20 years can zoom right by. Please help!
sabrtooth1
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 7:48 PM

I'm 62, going on 63, and I retired at 60 to care for my grandchildren.  Other than that, I've worked since I was 15.  Continuously.  So have my daughters.  Staying home was NEVER an option.  Having a decent house, in a decent neighborhood, with a good school system, and the ability to get our kids all the extras was always our motivation.    What YOU do, is up to you.

amomnedtrish
by Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 8:41 PM
Except I wouldn't be staying home. I would be working part time.
copperswifey
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 9:21 PM

Maybe you could watch some other kids at your home for awhile. When your youngest one is in school then could go back to work. :) 

timon95
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 9:33 PM

i think if it would become a financial burden i would not switch to part-time. less money coming in could cause arguements and a change in lifestyle. by the time you get home from work they should be done their homework. use dinner time and the time before bed to spend talking with them. plan something special for the week-neds. have friday noghts as pizza and movie night, saturday or sunday could be family game day?

family car

Bmat
by Barb on Mar. 15, 2015 at 9:37 PM

Yes. It is worth it to spend more time with the children. They are only children a short while.

It is a good idea to have a part time job so you can build up SS benefits and for other benefits such as retirement accounts and making job contacts for if you want a full time job in the futures.

Bmat
by Barb on Mar. 15, 2015 at 9:39 PM

I was a SAHM with my children until both were in school. I did babysit a neighbor child after school, and I sold crafts to make some money. I also worked very hard to raise and store our own fruits and veggies. But as hard as I worked, at that time there were no financial benefits for the unemployed spouse, now there are.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)