Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice on autism please..my 2 yr old was just diagnosed and Im heartbroken..

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 12:57 PM
  • 27 Replies
Hi, ladies. Newbie here, as of yesterday, and I would love to talk with any of you about feelings, stress, thoughts in general, and advice to support one another in the delicate situation of toddlers with autism. As of Wed last week, we have been learning alot as a family about my son, Carter's diagnosis. Im scared for my child's future. Looking forward to meeting you. Thanks.
by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 12:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
barbie_girl870
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 1:22 PM
1 mom liked this
My son is 16 he is autistic. at first I was scared to .but there is nothing to worry about. a diagnosis does not change who your son is. it will just help you understand what's going on.
NBVP1
by Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 1:31 PM
My 10 year old was recently diagnosed. He's high functioning but has no social skills whatsoever.

You will learn to appreciate the unique ways in which your child is awesome. And there will be many, there already are. They will be easier to see if you release your expectations for what he should be. Readjust your perspective. Toss the word "normal" out of the window.

I struggle. I cry. I hurt and worry and tear my cuticles off to the quick. We have bad days...days when I have no patience and he has no focus, days when I think I'd give anything for different circumstances.

But then there are moments of joy. Moments when he surprises me. Moments when I see him unfiltered and am reminded that he is incredible human being and I lucked out hard to have him. In truth, no other kid could be as suited for me as he is.

You'll be better than OK.
MamaLauri
by Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Hugs Mama. I am an Aspie, with 6 generations of family members on the syndrome mix. Numerous affected members are MDs or PhDs, including myself. It is a mixed blessing. Life style changes can often allow the benefits with minimum negative symptoms. There are excellent CM groups.

Seek out a developmental/pedicatic neurologist that understands the interaction of the immune system and nervous system. A path that works is know your child, share his world view before asking him to take yours, take care of medical issues first, then multi-sensory integration, then social and executive function skills. Finally address any remaining mal-adaptive behaviors, if any exist.

The chronic low grade medical  and sensory issues are sources of constant pain that limit learning and frequently are the causes of pain-escape behavior problems.

Cordoba9632147
by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 1:57 PM
What helps me is I look at the big picture. Also, EVERYONE has negative traits and positive traits. Focus on the positive in him. Downplay the negative. Get respite if you can. It's important to join a support group. Which you've already done. Welcome to the group! My DS is 9 with Aspergers.
lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 1:59 PM
My 6 yr old is autistic. We don't know yet about our other two.

Join the autism group
CaptNumo9
by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 2:49 PM

Hugs mama. I love what Barbie said - it doesn't change who he is, just how you understand him. Here is an article that might lend some insight. Hugs mama! #notautomatic-

KatieLB
by New Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 4:19 PM
You all are wonderful. Thank you so much. Yes, our boy is very unique, loves music, animals, and cuddles!(most of the time-which we are so greatful for). He is in place to recieve therapies for all his unique needs, and I will continue everyday to appreciate how special he really is. Hugs to you all and thanks again.
MusherMaggie
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 4:52 PM
Chiming in late. My husband has Asberger's, while my son, daughter and I have varying degrees of bipolar disorder. Educating ourselves helped tremendously. I'm currently dealing with some physical health issues as well. Some days I just have to take deep breaths and plow through, other days I have to kick back and relax in order to hold on to sanity! You've been given good advice. Hang in there !
Kmakksmom
by on Mar. 17, 2015 at 1:44 PM
Welcome and *hugs*.
Bmat
by Barb on Mar. 17, 2015 at 2:11 PM

Here is a group that may also be helpful:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)