Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What should a stay at home mom teach 2 year old?

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 10:51 PM
  • 28 Replies
My son will be 2 this month and currently stays home with me. What should I be teaching him/doing with him while we're both at home? Should I be doing the same things as he was in daycare? What is a two year old supposed to be learning? Also being that his birthday is coming up, I want to make sure I get him some learning toys/activities so he's not just bombarded with regular "toys"... but I don't know where to start! TIA for any advice! :)
by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 10:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Roo1234
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 10:54 PM
I wouldn't worry about structure and would spend time exploring.
Counting, letters, sounds all can come organically through play and exploration.

"Regular" toys are superior to most "educational"ones because imagination is where kids learn to think, process and develop understanding of the world
katherine84
by Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 10:56 PM
Colors, shapes, abc's, counting, spelling his name, phone number, early reading skills!

Books are always good. Puzzles too!
peachesforme
by Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:02 PM
Magnetic letters, lots of books, lots of outside play, singing, listening to nursery rhyme songs is a huge help for phonological awareness. I wouldnt get him toys that "do" everything for him as they require very little imagination. Stick to the basics- blocks, legos, crayons and paper to color, a colorful abacus so you can count with him, playdoh, a sandbox is wonderful. From, a prek teacher who works in daycare with 4-5 yr olds.
peachesforme
by Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:05 PM
Oh one more thing, the schoolbox store has many wonderful learning toys that are teacher approved. A bit pricey but excellent.
timon95
by on Mar. 17, 2015 at 10:41 AM

at that age I focused more on educational toys from leapfrog and vtech. you can be teaching him to trace his letters, numbers, simple shapes, colors, how to spell his name. my kids loved their Tag readers from leapfrog.

emarin77
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2015 at 10:54 AM

I used flash cards to learn letters and numbers 1-10.  We did arts and crafts too with music time.  Exercise too.  I did my own at home preschool for him.

Bmat
by Barb on Mar. 17, 2015 at 11:22 AM

Whatever he seems ready for. I sang the alphabet song during diaper changes, talked about colors and numbers all the time (Would you like two red blocks or 1 green block.) and shapes.  Over and under were so simple I don't seem to have ever taught these. Near and far, short time and long time.

Bmat
by Barb on Mar. 17, 2015 at 11:23 AM

Reading, reading all the time, and letting him pick out books from the library.

Kmakksmom
by on Mar. 17, 2015 at 2:08 PM
Our kids loved learning shapes, colors, ABCs, and many other things around that age. My mom was a preschool teacher when our older girls were young, so she helped out a lot with what they could learn when.
MusherMaggie
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2015 at 2:40 PM
Don't over think it. Let him be two. Read to him, involve him in your daily chores. He can put toys or clothes into baskets. Walk outside with him. Let him get dirty. Roll or kick a ball back and forth. Don't worry about "regular" toys versus "educational" toys.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)