Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Preteen to adult clothing sizes

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 9:44 AM
  • 8 Replies

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone help me figure out boys' clothing  sizing when the child is between sizes.  My son will be 13 this summer, but he's still very short for his age.  He's wearing boys 14/16 pants and shorts, but I have noticed that they are starting to get snug.  There appears to be no next size up in the boys clothing at most stores.  So, what *is* the next size up?  Does he start wearing small men's clothing and I start buying pants based on waist and leg measurements?  I put a small adult man's tee shirt on him and it's way too long.  So confused!  I think I may have to sew all of his shorts for summer and I really don't want to.  I hate putting in fly front zippers!

by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 9:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes pants will need to be bought on waist / length measurements. Shirts and jackets you will have to try on. Also button downs will be by neck/ sleeve length. You might be able to buy his shirts in Husky boys ? Its hard because every brand seems to run differently. At 13 my son wore 30x 34 pants, and 16/ 34/35 shirts. My guys are tall and thin.  Word to the wise~~ Dont buy too much or too expensive as they will be outgrown quickly.

AbbeysMom2013
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 11:34 AM
You may need to shop around a few stores to find sizes that fit his needs
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 11:37 AM

Have to shop around just like the girls.  My dd is 21 and wears some 00 junior, 0 and 1's depending on where.  She has to try on everything and always has.  She is 4 ft 10 and 92 lbs.  She wore kids at least 2 years in HS.  

SnowWhieQueen
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this
They do have a 18 boys in some stores now
Surleighgrl
by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 12:32 PM

Thanks for your responses.  I try to avoid taking my son to stores.  He has autism, and so it's difficult for him to handle places like department stores.  I think what I'll just do is take his measurements with me and a tape measure and measure all the clothes before I buy.  Thanks for the tip on size 18 clothes, too.  I'll keep my eye out for those.

timon95
by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this

shop around, or maybe try husky instead of regular?

momofsixangels
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 1:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Yes pants will need to be bought on waist / length measurements. Shirts and jackets you will have to try on. Also button downs will be by neck/ sleeve length. You might be able to buy his shirts in Husky boys ? Its hard because every brand seems to run differently. At 13 my son wore 30x 34 pants, and 16/ 34/35 shirts. My guys are tall and thin.  Word to the wise~~ Dont buy too much or too expensive as they will be outgrown quickly.

This

barbie_girl870
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 1:21 PM
Yes they go to men's
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)