Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gestational Diabetes baby size?

Posted by on May. 5, 2015 at 5:15 PM
  • 37 Replies

I have to go back to the doctor to discuss Gestational Diabetes tomorrow. I've had two babies and never had to deal with this before. Does anyone have any experience with this? What sizes were your babies? How was your pregnancy different? 

by on May. 5, 2015 at 5:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on May. 5, 2015 at 8:30 PM
My second I wa diagnosed with gestational diabetes. He was my smallest. He weighed 6.15. I controlled my diet very well though. He was born one day before his due date.
3companytoo
by Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:01 PM

Quoting Mom2Just1: My second I wa diagnosed with gestational diabetes. He was my smallest. He weighed 6.15. I controlled my diet very well though. He was born one day before his due date.

That sounds nice. I hope I have your luck :)

tinkerxbell
by Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:06 PM

with my first baby I did NOT have gestational diabetes, he was 9lb 4oz. with my second baby I did have gestational diabetes and she was 7lb 4oz. I had to follow a meal plan, check my blood sugar  and had to have an NST twice a week until I had her but other than that nothing was different.

3companytoo
by Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:17 PM

Were you having early contractions or were the NSTs a part of the "standard" diabetes care? Most of the women I have talked to have had normal sized babies. I was worried about delivering a giant.

Quoting tinkerxbell:

with my first baby I did NOT have gestational diabetes, he was 9lb 4oz. with my second baby I did have gestational diabetes and she was 7lb 4oz. I had to follow a meal plan, check my blood sugar  and had to have an NST twice a week until I had her but other than that nothing was different.

tinkerxbell
by Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:21 PM

The NSTs were just part of standard care. I wasn't having early contractions or anything. I had my baby at 39 weeks via scheduled c-section.

Quoting 3companytoo:

Were you having early contractions or were the NSTs a part of the "standard" diabetes care? Most of the women I have talked to have had normal sized babies. I was worried about delivering a giant.

Quoting tinkerxbell:

Hannahsmommy816
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2015 at 7:41 AM

my 2nd they said i was GD, my baby was 1oz bigger than my 1st

matofour
by on May. 6, 2015 at 7:47 AM
Four pregnancies
Two with GD
First pregnancy/non GD- 8 pounds 2 ounces
2 pregnancy/GD-7 pounds even
3 pregnancy/non GD- 7 pounds 4 ounces
4 pregnancy/GD, from 8 weeks pregnant!- 7 pounds 7 ounces

My GD babies were born healthy weight, because I followed the diet. Thankfully my GD was diet controlled. Drs were very worried with last pregnancy that I was actually un diagnosed diabetic since they tested me early and I was already GD, by 8 weeks! (First round of blood work, and I was already GD!)
But, as soon as baby was born, my blood sugars were fine. I have them checked every six months at this point and they have always been perfect.
It's scary, a lot of work, but you can do it!

Oh and yes, from like 8 months on I had a NST twice a week with my GD babies. It's standard care for GD babies.
bigmomma04
by on May. 6, 2015 at 7:50 AM
I had gestational diabetes with my last child, he was almost 10 pounds
fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2015 at 7:52 AM

I had it with my last, none of the first 3.  He ended up being my 2nd smallest at only 7lbs 6ozs and the only thing different was I ate a diabetics diet and was able to maintain it with diet and regular testing of my blood 3x's a day.  He was 6 days early. 

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2015 at 7:55 AM

Interesting I had GD and never once had a NST. 

Quoting matofour: Four pregnancies Two with GD First pregnancy/non GD- 8 pounds 2 ounces 2 pregnancy/GD-7 pounds even 3 pregnancy/non GD- 7 pounds 4 ounces 4 pregnancy/GD, from 8 weeks pregnant!- 7 pounds 7 ounces My GD babies were born healthy weight, because I followed the diet. Thankfully my GD was diet controlled. Drs were very worried with last pregnancy that I was actually un diagnosed diabetic since they tested me early and I was already GD, by 8 weeks! (First round of blood work, and I was already GD!) But, as soon as baby was born, my blood sugars were fine. I have them checked every six months at this point and they have always been perfect. It's scary, a lot of work, but you can do it! Oh and yes, from like 8 months on I had a NST twice a week with my GD babies. It's standard care for GD babies.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)